Topic: The Teaching of Fractions
Replies: 10   Last Post: Oct 29, 2012 12:59 PM

Clyde Greeno @ MALEI

Re: The Teaching of Fractions

Bob:

Many thanks for your link to Wu's listing of the CCSS criteria for
curricular education in fractions ... and thanks to Wu, for gleaning the
fractions-standards out from the CCSS-mathematics. That will save the
Mathematical Literacy Project from having to dig for that particular CCSS
theme ... which is a backdrop for the MatheLite Project's "grand opening"
demonstration of its community education video library .

Wu's own commentaries about fraction-education leave much to be desired, but
the CCSS did not mess up Wu's own theories of fractions and
fraction-teaching. That mess came from his own efforts (as a traditionally
educated mathematician) to function also as a mathematics-education
consultant ... without thoroughly studying the mathematics of fractions.

So, what he did was to use CCSS as a context for reiterating what he earlier
proffered in his earlier AMS publication. Nothing wrong with that ...
except that it contributes nothing new toward sorely needed progress on the
national dilemma on fraction-education. Your own lay thoughts are almost as
useful.

I was disappointed that Wu's e-conversation with me (about fractions) failed
to reveal his willingness to learn any more about the subject than what
already is known by most other teacher-educators. It is not that Wu's theory
is "wrong" ... so much as that it is woefully inadequate. It says nothing
that was not already known in the field ... and has the same maladies as do
traditional curricular perceptions.

Science will soon reveal that there are more effective and humanly natural
and ways of learning/teaching fractions. This is not the time or place to
elucidate, but "Stay tuned for coming attractions."

Cordially,
Clyde