Topic: The Teaching of Fractions
Replies: 10   Last Post: Oct 29, 2012 12:59 PM

Clyde Greeno @ MALEI

Re: The Teaching of Fractions

The concept of fractions in no way depends on operations with whole numbers
... other than on counting. It depends only on (what amounts to) FACTORING
"whole things" into *quantities* ... such as 19(8ths). It is accessible to
children as soon as they can perceive *partitioning* numerous wholes into
"equivalent" parts. Once they can perceive that kind of *fractioning*, they
easily perceive the *scalar* operations in each denomination (which Wu
ignores: scalar additions, subtractions, and whole-number multiples).

Children can easily learn all of that, LONG before they have mastered the
complexities of "long multiplication" and "long division" ... even long
before they have fully mastered the additions/subtractions of Arabic
numerals. Without that kind of commonsensible comprehension of fractions,
all else is scholastic gibberish.

Cordially,
Clyde