Replies: 156   Last Post: Nov 4, 2012 3:01 PM

JRStern

On Mon, 29 Oct 2012 11:29:46 -0600, David C. Ullrich
<ullrich@math.okstate.edu> wrote:

>On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 04:23:28 -0700, JRStern <JRStern@foobar.invalid>
>wrote:

>>>Its a theorem in ZF. It doesn't need an axiom.

>>It seems a little involved to be the kind of thing we like to call a
>>theorem,

>??????????
>

>> and I believe it was Poincare who said it (or was he just
>>broad-brushing all of Cantor?) only works by assuming its conclusion.

>I don't believe that. Any evidence at all?

It was in something I've read over the last few weeks, as I happened
to wander into this area. I was hoping it would already be familiar
to those here.

Well, this isn't the one I recall directly, but it seems to refer to
the same thing, in "Set Theory And Its Logic", Quine, Cambridge MA
1969, p 241, Chapter XI, "Russell's Theory of Types":

Poincare tried to account for Russell's paradox as the efect rather of
a subtle fallacy than of a collapse of irreducible principles. He
attributed it to what he called a vicious circle. The defining
characteristic of the paradoxical class y is '(x)(x member y .=. x not
member y)', and the paradox comes, as we know, of letting the
quantified variable 'x' here take y itself as a value ...
He called the suspect procedure *impredicative*. We must not
presuppose y in defining y.

--

I know Quine is off the main path of set theory and formal logic. I
started my little expedition here with Boolos' "Logic, Logic, Logic"

Josh

Date Subject Author
JRStern
Frederick Williams