Replies: 156   Last Post: Nov 4, 2012 3:01 PM

LudovicoVan

From: London

"Peter Webb" <webbfamilyDIEspamDie@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:k6nfnq$dre$1@news.albasani.net...
> LudovicoVan wrote:
>> "Peter Webb" <webbfamilyDIEspamDie@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
>>

>> > As you haven't told us what "w" and "m" are supposed to be, or the
>> > rule that you are using to form the list, this cannot be done.

>> Parrot, at least read bloody Cantor's argument before pontificating
>> your dogma.

> I have. And its not dogma.

But you have just asked what "w" and "m" are supposed to mean, remember?
That's why I call you (and co., don't take it personally as it isn't)
parrots etc.: because you are just right, whatever kind of bollocks you
might say, in the end you are still right. By dogma, and the guns.

>> > If you think you have a list of all Reals, post it here, and I will
>> > happily prove its not a list of all Reals by finding a Real not on
>> > the list for you.

>> But you can do no such thing: the anti-diagonal is just not a real
>> number.

> Of course it is a Real number. It is the limit of a Cauchy sequence.
> You do know that convergent Cauchy sequences define unique Reals, right?
>
> (I just bagged somebody for providing a proof of the anti-diagonal was
> Real using Cauchy sequences, on the basis that no crank disputes
> whether the anti-diagonal is Real. And then you prove me wrong by
> raising exactly this isuue).

Indeed, to be precise, you and co. excel in not even being wrong.

> So, where is your list of all the Reals?

The real numbers are a subset of the surreals. But I had said that already.
Of course they are countable: there just is no such thing as a number that
is not a number: a number is all we can do with it seriously (you won't get
this, but never mind).

Well, maybe it's not dogma, it's just that you cannot read... But no, I am
not optimistic about anybody's intellectual honesty around here: except
maybe for Prof. Magidin, who at least shows some good math.

-LV

Date Subject Author
JRStern
Frederick Williams