Replies: 156   Last Post: Nov 4, 2012 3:01 PM

LudovicoVan

From: London

"Peter Webb" <webbfamilyDIEspamDie@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
news:k6nk8v$lht$1@news.albasani.net...
> LudovicoVan wrote:
>> "Peter Webb" <webbfamilyDIEspamDie@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

>> > I have. And its not dogma.

>> But you have just asked what "w" and "m" are supposed to mean,
>> remember? That's why I call you (and co., don't take it personally as
>> it isn't) parrots etc.: because you are just right, whatever kind of
>> bollocks you might say, in the end you are still right. By dogma,
>> and the guns.

> You actually have to identify what I said which you think is "bollocks".
>
> Somehow you forgot to say what it is.

I have just said it... Unless you mean a full list of all the bollocks
ever stated in sci.math: of course, just forget it.

>> will >>> happily prove its not a list of all Reals by finding a Real
>> not on >>> the list for you.

>> > Of course it is a Real number. It is the limit of a Cauchy sequence.
>> > You do know that convergent Cauchy sequences define unique Reals,
>> > right?
>> >
>> > (I just bagged somebody for providing a proof of the anti-diagonal
>> > was Real using Cauchy sequences, on the basis that no crank disputes
>> > whether the anti-diagonal is Real. And then you prove me wrong by
>> > raising exactly this isuue).

>> Indeed, to be precise, you and co. excel in not even being wrong.
>>

>> > So, where is your list of all the Reals?
>>
>> The real numbers are a subset of the surreals. But I had said that
>> already. Of course they are countable:

> Terrific. Provide a surjection from N to R.

Ever heard of the surreals at all? But you are correct in that I was
imprecise: all infinite sets are *extended-countable*, i.e. all infinite
sets biject with N*, the extended naturals.

>> there just is no such thing as
>> a number that is not a number: a number is all we can do with it
>> seriously (you won't get this, but never mind).

> You are supposed to either say what you think I said which is bollocks,
> or provide a counter-example to Cantor.
>
> As it is, you are just mumbling.
>

>> Well, maybe it's not dogma, it's just that you cannot read... But
>> no, I am not optimistic about anybody's intellectual honesty around
>> here: except maybe for Prof. Magidin, who at least shows some good
>> math.

> The cranks should be pretty obvious. Clearly Madigin is not a crank,
> but there are many others who are also not cranks. Anybody who claims
> that Cantor's proof is false without identifying an error in the proof
> is a crank.

In fact, your denial is integral to your dogma.

-LV

Date Subject Author
JRStern
Frederick Williams