Replies: 156   Last Post: Nov 4, 2012 3:01 PM

Peter Webb

LudovicoVan wrote:

> "Peter Webb" <webbfamilyDIEspamDie@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

> > LudovicoVan wrote:
> >>"Peter Webb" <webbfamilyDIEspamDie@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message

> message >>> > news:k6l6as$h0q$1@news.albasani.net...

> the >>>>> rule that you are using to form the list, this cannot be
> done. >>> >

> > > But you have just asked what "w" and "m" are supposed to mean,
> > > remember? That's why I call you (and co., don't take it
> > > personally as it isn't) parrots etc.: because you are just right,
> > > whatever kind of bollocks you might say, in the end you are still
> > > right. By dogma, and the guns.

> > You actually have to identify what I said which you think is
> > "bollocks".
> >
> > Somehow you forgot to say what it is.

> I have just said it... Unless you mean a full list of all the
> bollocks ever stated in sci.math: of course, just forget it.

No, I want to know what I said which you think is "bollocks".

Why won't you tell us?

> >>will >>> happily prove its not a list of all Reals by finding a Real
> >>not on >>> the list for you.

> real >>> > number.

> sequence. >>> You do know that convergent Cauchy sequences define
> unique Reals, >>> right?

> disputes >>> whether the anti-diagonal is Real. And then you prove me
> wrong by >>> raising exactly this isuue).

> > > Indeed, to be precise, you and co. excel in not even being wrong.

> > > The real numbers are a subset of the surreals. But I had said
> > > that already. Of course they are countable:

> > Terrific. Provide a surjection from N to R.

> Ever heard of the surreals at all?

Of course. But we are discussing Reals, not Surreals.

> But you are correct in that I was
> imprecise: all infinite sets are *extended-countable*, i.e. all
> infinite sets biject with N*, the extended naturals.

The "extended Naturals, huh"? Do you mean the naturals extended with
transfinite elements represented with "non-standard numbers", as for
example in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-standard_model_of_arithmetic ?

If so, your comment is meaningless, as these theories only add a
countably infinite number of new "numbers", so the cardinality of N
extended in this manner is identical to the cardinality of N alone.

If you mean something else by the "extended naturals", you should tell
us what it is.

> >> there just is no such thing as
> > > a number that is not a number: a number is all we can do with it
> > > seriously (you won't get this, but never mind).

> > You are supposed to either say what you think I said which is
> > bollocks, or provide a counter-example to Cantor.
> >
> > As it is, you are just mumbling.
> >

> > > Well, maybe it's not dogma, it's just that you cannot read... But
> > > no, I am not optimistic about anybody's intellectual honesty
> > > around here: except maybe for Prof. Magidin, who at least shows
> > > some good math.

> > The cranks should be pretty obvious. Clearly Madigin is not a crank,
> > but there are many others who are also not cranks. Anybody who
> > claims that Cantor's proof is false without identifying an error in
> > the proof is a crank.

> In fact, your denial is integral to your dogma.

In fact, you really need to find something I have said which you
consider false. Only then can I explain it to you.

> -LV

Date Subject Author
JRStern
Frederick Williams