Replies: 156   Last Post: Nov 4, 2012 3:01 PM

Peter Webb

Graham Cooper wrote:

> On Oct 31, 1:37 pm, "Peter Webb"
> <webbfamilyDIEspam...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> > Graham Cooper wrote:

> > > I have a listable set of all reals.
> >
> > >  0.000000.. 0.110000.. 0.111010.. 0.111110.. ...
> > >  0.000111.. 0.101000.. 0.000010.. 0.001100.. ...
> > >  0.111000.. 0.010010.. 0.001010.. 0.101010.. ...
> > >  0.111100.. 0.001011.. 0.000011.. 0.111111.. ...

> > > AHA!  Peter is on the ball!
> >
> > > No enumeration function!  Just a good ole countable SET of all
> > > reals!

> > > The order is arbitrary isn't it?

> > > Nonetheless it was the topic before you took over from Moeblee.

> > > If you do not wish to apply any mathematical approach to the given
> > > countable set of reals,

> > >  0.000000.. 0.110000.. 0.111010.. 0.111110.. ...
> > >  0.000111.. 0.101000.. 0.000010.. 0.001100.. ...
> > >  0.111000.. 0.010010.. 0.001010.. 0.101010.. ...
> > >  0.111100.. 0.001011.. 0.000011.. 0.111111.. ...

> > That's not a given countable set of Reals.
> >
> > Its not even a list of a few Reals, or even a single Real.
> >
> > Lets start with the first Real on your list. Just the first one. I
> > don't care about the others for the time being. What is the first
> > Real on your list?
> >

> 0! Top left corner!

OK, what is the second Real on the list?

> Maybe you should DEFINE what you mean by countable set before asking
> for one.

You don't know what a countable set is?

For the purposes of this thread, you can treat it as a set which can be
bijected with N.

Which means you have to specify which values in R correspond to which
values in N.

You have already told us that the Real corresponding to n=1 is 0.

Now you can tell us the Real corresponding to n=2.

Eventually you will need to specify the Reals corresponding to all
natural numbers n, but I figure the values for n=1 (given) and n=2
(next) will be a good start.

> > > then I have nothing more to add about countable complete sets of
> > > reals.

> > > Herc
>
> Herc

Date Subject Author