Replies: 156   Last Post: Nov 4, 2012 3:01 PM

Peter Webb

Graham Cooper wrote:

> On Oct 30, 4:01 pm, "Peter Webb"
> <webbfamilyDIEspam...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> > Graham Cooper wrote:

> > > I have a listable set of all Reals.
> >
> > Great. Send it to me. I will tell you at least one missing Real.
> >

> > > Do you claim to be able to examine infinite lists?
> >
> > No, I claim to be able to examine rules which apply to infinite
> > sequences. For example, I can tell you the sequence of Reals 1, 2,
> > 3, ... where the Real in position n is n interpreted as a Real
> > number ... does not contain 0.5, without explicitly examining
> > every element in the list.
> >

> > > If so, specify the infinite stream protocol of your choice.
> >
> > > Herc
> >
> > Not needed.
> >
> > Just tell us which Real appears in position n for all n.
> >

> You want me to 'tell you' an infinite sequence?
>
> I told you which digit appears in position 1,2,3,4,5 & 6
> for reals in positions

Yes. But you haven't told us what the Real numbers in your list are.

What is the second Real in your list?

> R11 R12 R13 R14
> R21 R22 R23 R24
> R31 R32 R33 R34
> R41 R42 R43 R44
>
> Here are those digits again.
>
> 0.000000.. 0.110000.. 0.111010.. 0.111110.. ...
> 0.000111.. 0.101000.. 0.000010.. 0.001100.. ...
> 0.111000.. 0.010010.. 0.001010.. 0.101010.. ...
> 0.111100.. 0.001011.. 0.000011.. 0.111111.. ...
>
> Should you require any further digits then specify which ones from
> this enumerable_set_of_reals.

Its not an enumerable set of Reals. Its not even a set of Reals. It is
the first few decimal places of a few unspecified Real numbers.

What is the second Real on your list?

> Since you have FAILED 5 times now to provide any hint of a missing
> real from this enumerable_set_of_reals I think your claim is clearly
> debunked.

You haven't specified a single Real other than the first (0).

So you clearly haven't provided a list of all Reals. You have provided
(so far) a list with a single Real on it, 0 at posn 1.

Lets see if we can push this to two Reals ....

What is the second Real on your list?

> If you wish to REFINE YOUR CLAIM that given an Enumeration or
> specification thereof you have something to prove then do so.

Nope.

> Otherwise your claim to prove anything given any ENUMER-ABLE SET OF
> REALS clearly appears to have failed on the set provided 5 times
> already.
>
> Herc

You haven't specified an infinite list of Reals.

You haven't even specified the second Real on your list.

What is it?

Date Subject Author
JRStern
Frederick Williams