Replies: 23   Last Post: Nov 2, 2012 1:46 AM

LudovicoVan

From: London

"Jesse F. Hughes" <jesse@phiwumbda.org> wrote in message
news:87mwz2qu53.fsf@phiwumbda.org...
> "LudovicoVan" <julio@diegidio.name> writes:
>> "Jesse F. Hughes" <jesse@phiwumbda.org> wrote in message

<snip>

>>> I never said you thought that set theory was a root of evil, but, near
>>> as I can figger, you said that it was a symptom of a lying culture which
>>> lies just 'cause it can.

>> You could say because it wants, not because it can: anyway, you rephrase
>> it
>> as a 13 year old would, but yes, let's say you almost got it, son, though
>> not quite. OTOH, I am pretty sure you could do better, if only you could
>> be
>> any little more honest.

> Sorry, I've studied too much set theory to be honest, I guess.

Set theory is not responsible for your honesty, big boy.

>>> In an honest culture, we would all admit that
>>> set theory is a plain falsehood.

>> No, I have never said that: there are indeed things that I find are
>> patently
>> wrong, the standard theory of cardinality being one of them, but that
>> does
>> not mean I'd discard the baby too. Not to mention that we all have
>> "search"
>> strategies, and a world of fools and criminals means just do not expect
>> that
>> I be a gentlemen. It's a war, mate.

> See, here's the weird thing. The theorems of ZFC can be confirmed by
> anyone.

Apart from the fact that proof by consensus is not a valid argument, that's
not even true.

> At best, you can complain that either the axioms are false
> (I'm sure I don't know what that would mean)

At best? Anyway, try and ask Aatu about that: to you he might even reply.

> or that the logic we use is
> mistaken (and that's a mighty hard sell). But it is undeniable that ZFC
> proves for all X, |X| < |PX|. Anyone can confirm that the proof is a
> valid argument.

Again, proof by consensus is not a proof, but that is not even true: as you
should know even too well, not anyone would confirm, and this is not just
the cranks.

>>> If this is an accurate representation of what you meant, then you are
>>> indeed an idiot.

>> It is far from accurate, but no worries: I still have way to go before
>> I can compete with you at that level.
>>

>>> If not, feel free to correct my misunderstanding of your insights.
>>
>> As long as you have no ethics, you remain incorrigible.
>>
>> Now, have we finished with this confrontation? Even Virgil is losing his
>> temper...

> Well, to be sure, Virgil is also an idiot, so I don't take him as a
> standard for my argument.

I see we agree on something! LOL...

EOD.

-LV