Replies: 23   Last Post: Nov 2, 2012 1:46 AM

Graham Cooper

On Nov 1, 8:38 am, "Jesse F. Hughes" <je...@phiwumbda.org> wrote:
> "LudovicoVan" <ju...@diegidio.name> writes:
> > "Jesse F. Hughes" <je...@phiwumbda.org> wrote in message

> > <snip>

> >> Sorry, I've studied too much set theory to be honest, I guess.
>
> > Set theory is not responsible for your honesty, big boy.

> >> See, here's the weird thing.  The theorems of ZFC can be confirmed by
> >> anyone.

> > Apart from the fact that proof by consensus is not a valid argument, that's
> > not even true.

> Who the fuck said anything about proof by consensus?
>
> And, surely, if the argument is invalid, perhaps you can point out the
> invalid step.
>
> For that, of course, we should be clear on what argument we are
> discussing.  There are various arguments that go by the name "Cantor's
> theorem".  The easiest to analyze, of course, is the proof that, for all
> sets X, |X| < |PX|.  Are you prepared to show me how that argument is
> invalid?  If so, we can discuss it.
>
> But I'm not going on some vague, meandering and conspiracy-tinged
> rantfest.  If you want to claim that the proof is invalid, you have to
> show me the step which is invalid.
>

> >>  At best, you can complain that either the axioms are false
> >> (I'm sure I don't know what that would mean)

> > At best?  Anyway, try and ask Aatu about that: to you he might even
> > reply.

> >> or that the logic we use is
> >> mistaken (and that's a mighty hard sell).  But it is undeniable that ZFC
> >> proves for all X, |X| < |PX|.  Anyone can confirm that the proof is a
> >> valid argument.

> > Again, proof by consensus is not a proof, but that is not even true: as you
> > should know even too well, not anyone would confirm, and this is not just
> > the cranks.

> And, again, to say that "anyone can confirm the validity" is not proof
> by consensus, you tedious twat.
>
> And, as far as non-cranks "not confirming" the validity, well, that is
> the subject of this discussion.  Can you name a single, reputable source
> that disputes whether ZFC proves Cantor's theorem?  (NOTE: I'm talking
> about a particular formal theory here, so the various mathematicians who
> gave philosophical disputes over Cantor's informal argument are
> irrelevant to our purposes here, unless those disputes can explicitly
> show an invalid step in this very simple proof.)

Can you state explicitly what it proves?

I don't see how MODUS PONENS might make this deduction.

LHS->RHS & LHS -> RHS

where RHS = "X > size({1,2,3...})"

nor how the enumeration of a set and it's index inclusion or not has
anything to do what's in the superset.

Herc
--
if( if(t(S),f(R)) , if(t(R),f(S)) ).