Replies: 156   Last Post: Nov 4, 2012 3:01 PM

Peter Webb

Graham Cooper wrote:

> On Oct 31, 2:34 pm, "Peter Webb"
> <webbfamilyDIEspam...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> > Graham Cooper wrote:

> > > 0!  Top left corner!
> >
> > OK, what is the second Real on the list?
> >

> > > Maybe you should DEFINE what you mean by countable set before
> > > asking for one.

> > You don't know what a countable set is?
> >
> > For the purposes of this thread, you can treat it as a set which
> > can be bijected with N.
> >
> > Which means you have to specify which values in R correspond to
> > which values in N.
> >
> > You have already told us that the Real corresponding to n=1 is 0.
> >
> > Now you can tell us the Real corresponding to n=2.
> >
> > Eventually you will need to specify the Reals corresponding to all
> > natural numbers n, but I figure the values for n=1 (given) and n=2
> > (next) will be a good start.

> This set can be bijected with N
>
> 1/1 1/2 1/3 1/4 ...
> 2/1 2/2 2/3 2/4 ...
> 3/1 3/2 3/3 3/4 ...
> 4/1 4/2 4/3 4/4 ...

Yes.

> similarly this set of reals CAN-BE bijected with N
>
> 0.000000.. 0.110000.. 0.111010.. 0.111110.. ...
> 0.000111.. 0.101000.. 0.000010.. 0.001100.. ...
> 0.111000.. 0.010010.. 0.001010.. 0.101010.. ...
> 0.111100.. 0.001011.. 0.000011.. 0.111111.. ...

Its not a set of Reals. It is set of the 7 leading digits of 16
different Reals.

We know the first Real is 0, because you told us.

What is the value of the second Real?

> Hence, you CANNOT prove a COUNTABLE SET OF REALS is incomplete.
>
> PROOF: This is the 10th time asking.
>
> In fact, I call this THE UNANSWERABLE QUESTION for a reason!
>

> Herc

And the second Real on your list is what, exactly?

Date Subject Author
JRStern
Frederick Williams
JRStern