Topic: Testing the significance of difference in set means at different times
Replies: 9   Last Post: Nov 7, 2012 7:53 PM

Stuart.Palmer@deakin.edu.au

Re: Testing the significance of difference in set means at different times

On Friday, 2 November 2012 01:13:08 UTC+11, Bruce Weaver wrote:
> On 01/11/2012 6:27 AM, Stua...@deakin.edu.au wrote:

> >> For each person, get the algebraic difference between their score
>

> >> at time 1 and their score at time 2. Then do an independent-groups
>

> >> t-test of the difference between the means of the two sets of
>

> >> difference scores.
>

> > Thanks for the reply.
>

> > I omitted an important piece of information sorry, each of the sets
>
> is a cross-sectional sample (sub-set) of their respective populations,
>
> and the data in a1 and a2 (and b1 and b2) are not paired.
>

> When you say the observations are not paired, that could mean that each
>
> person (or unit of observation, if not people) appeared in one and only
>
> one of the 4 samples. Or it could mean that people could appear in more
>
> than one sample, but you don't have the information needed to pair up
>
> their observations. Which is it? If the former, you have 4 independent
>
> groups in a 2x2 layout, and you can use two-way ANOVA (Condition x
>
> Time). The null hypothesis for the interaction term is that the
>
> difference between A and B is the same at both time points. (It could
>
> also be stated that the difference between times 1 and 2 is the same for
>
> conditions A and B.)
>

> You can find some nice introductory notes on two-way (or factorial)
>
> ANOVA here: http://davidmlane.com/hyperstat/ -- see chapter 13.
>

> HTH.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Weaver
>
> bwe...@lakeheadu.ca
>
> http://sites.google.com/a/lakeheadu.ca/bweaver/Home
>
> "When all else fails, RTFM."

Cheers Bruce, thanks for that.

Sets A and B are cross-sectional (representative) samples of two different populations. The members of the sets at time 1 and 2 are different, though still representative. The principal measure of interest is the mean value (of a rating given by) the respective sets.

I have used one-way ANOVA to explore the significance of the difference in mean score between A1 and A2, B1 and B2, A1 and B1 (ie, [Ma1-Mb1]), and, A2 and B2 (ie, [Ma2-Mb2]).

My interest/question was about testing the significance of the 'difference of the differences' (Ma1-Mb1)-(Ma2-Mb2).

I had considered a two-way ANOVA using all of the data and looking at the significance of interaction term, but was unsure. I will look at this.

Thanks again.