Topic: debug... stop if errors or warnings
Replies: 2   Last Post: Nov 2, 2012 12:13 PM

Steven Lord

Re: debug... stop if errors or warnings

"Nick " <dsfadfa@aol.com> wrote in message
> In the debug menu under stop if errors or warnings there is an option
> "Use message identifiers (dbstop if error messageid)"
> I would like instead to dbstop at all errors EXCEPT a certain one,
> particularly MATLAB:MEX:genericFailure as it is quite annoying to manually
> have to exit debug mode whenever i get compiler errors

I don't know of a way to do that.

If you're attempting to create a MEX-file and if it's acceptable for that
process to fail in your application, wrap your MEX call in a TRY/CATCH
block. If the caught error's identifier is MATLAB:MEX:genericFailure, simply
continue on with your work; if it is not, RETHROW it, somewhat like the
first example on the TRY/CATCH documentation page.

However I would question whether or not it's acceptable for the MEX-file to
fail to be compiled. MATLAB in general doesn't throw errors "just because."
Errors are like pain to a human body; they're an indication of a larger
problem, meant to draw your attention so you can fix the problem.

Steve Lord