Topic: Of Interest
Replies: 38   Last Post: Nov 5, 2012 7:48 PM

Louis Talman

Re: Why Dehaene is Wrong
att1.html (1.0 K)

On Sat, Nov 3, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> And let me add. These alleged real world problem courses get so screwed up
> because the authors think like Dehaene. They think there is some magical
> innate sense that is being suppressed and can be released if we would only
> stop teaching the math and let the children discover it on their own. With
> calculators.

This is a distortion of what Dehaene suggests. He thinks that many kids
don't connect the standard algorithms with their innate quantitative
sense---which remains intact and as correct as it ever was.

That's quite a different suggestion.

And, once again, I said nothing about the use of calculators.

Date Subject Author
10/29/12
Read Of Interest
Louis Talman