Replies: 156   Last Post: Nov 4, 2012 3:01 PM

Peter Webb

Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:

> In <k71vu3$cb7$1@news.albasani.net>, on 11/03/2012
> at 02:35 AM, "Peter Webb" <webbfamilyDIEspamDie@optusnet.com.au>
> said:
>

> > Obviously they are. Somebody constructs a list of purported Reals,
>
> Nobody constructs anything. There is a universal quantifier, that's
> all.

Sorry, but the proof commences with a purported list of all Reals. Look
at it.

> > Cantor showed that the Reals are not recursively
> > enumerable, not that they are uncountable.

> No, he proved that they are uncountable. Theories like ZFC may not be
> to your taste,

Ohh no, that's definitely false.

> but Cantor's proof is valid in them and nobody has ever
> found an inconsistency in them.

The proof we are discussing is not formulated in the language of ZF.
The equivalent proof in ZF is correct.

> > The proof actually says that such a list cannot be constructed.
>
> No, it proves that such a list does not exist, a stronger result.

By showing any purported list is missing a Real.

> > It starts with a hypothetical list that has already been
> > constructed.

> It uses a shorthand notation for a longer expression involving
> universal quantifiers.

That's the source of some of the problem in the proof - it uses a
shorthand which isn't quite correct and isn't properly explained.

I have no problem with the very similar proof in ZF.

Date Subject Author
JRStern
Frederick Williams
JRStern