Topic: An Interesting Point
Replies: 16   Last Post: Nov 7, 2012 11:14 AM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: An Interesting Point

I think there is a misunderstanding here. When you say "definition" of an operation I think of a sentence or two that distinguishes the operation from everything else. Just enough to do that and nothing else. Simple and to the point. I don't include in that definition the whole essence of the operation. That is the part I teach and that includes the other points you make regarding units, proof etc.

I like to start with a simple definition, like that of a fraction, a quotient of two numbers, written one on top of the other, and then through lesson, application and practice, the student recognizes just how significant something so simple is, a quotient of two numbers, written one on top of the other.

Bob Hansen