Topic: Of Interest
Replies: 38   Last Post: Nov 5, 2012 7:48 PM

Gary Tupper

Re: Why Dehaene is Wrong
att1.html (3.1 K)

Lou's suspicion may well be accurate for many folks. There seems to me
to be a somewhat feverish devotion to improving test scores & improving
students' standing with respect to students in other jurisdictions. I
sometimes wonder if any researcher has looked into the topics in math
that students find interesting - with an intent to develop a curriculum
based on such topics. And it may not only be the topics that are of
interest - but also the approach taken in addressing them.

Gary Tupper

On 11/5/2012 11:48 AM, Louis Talman wrote:
> Nothing, that is, except for a societal predilection to think that
> mathematics is too much effort for too little value.
>
> I suspect that that predilection is probably as important as any flaws
> in curriculum in explaining why so many students do so poorly at
> mathematics.
>
> On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 12:36 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com
> <mailto:bob@rsccore.com>> wrote:
>
> I've certainly thought of this before. Weighing heavily against
> this suggestion is the sheer size of my sample. If what you say is
> possible, and considering that students are socially promoted, we
> would have seen some evidence. I mean, nothing stops a student
> from not getting arithmetic and then going on to be successful
> with algebra. I started the study looking for such anomalies.
>
> Bob Hansen
>
> On Nov 2, 2012, at 2:06 AM, Louis Talman <talmanl@gmail.com
> <mailto:talmanl@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> > Your "natural progression" completely ignores a significant
> possibility: The primacy of arithmetic is simply an artifact of a
> curriculum that denies entry to those who haven't acquired
> proficiency at arithmetic.
>

> --
> --Louis A. Talman
> Department of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
> Metropolitan State College of Denver
>
> <http://rowdy.mscd.edu/%7Etalmanl>

Date Subject Author
10/29/12