Topic: trouble saving data structure to a file
Replies: 7   Last Post: Nov 12, 2012 10:21 AM

Steven Lord

Re: trouble saving data structure to a file

"Ben Ruppel" <brspam@cox.net> wrote in message
> "Steven_Lord" <slord@mathworks.com> wrote in message
> <k7a66a$asf$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...

*snip*

> Thank you very much, your solution worked. I'm not thrilled with creating
> a copy of A, B, and C since these are very large variables.

Depending on what you're doing, you may not be creating an actual copy.

http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/matlab_prog/memory-allocation.html

The copy-on-write behavior may save you from actually making a copy.

> How can you tell that handles.inputData is not a scalar struct variable?

Variable names in MATLAB have four specific rules:

http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/ref/isvarname.html

'handles.inputData' contains a period, which is not allowed in variable
names. That makes it an expression that when evaluated returns a variable.
If you assign the output of that expression to an identifier, that
identifier must be a valid variable name.

> In Variable Editor both handles and handles.inputData are listed as "1x1
> struct". Furthermore, they are both data "things" in matlab which contain
> multiple data structures and arrays and cell arrays. What makes the one
> different from the other?

"Ben Ruppel" is the name you use to post to CSSM.

"The person that posts to CSSM using the address 'brspam@cox.net' " refers
to you, but it is not your name. If I "evaluate" that expression by
searching CSSM, I can find your actual name. [Not the best of examples, as
anyone can spoof their email address, but hopefully good enough for
illustration purposes.]

> Is there a way for me to make handles.inputData a scalar struct variable?

For purposes of SAVE? Not without assigning it to a variable.

> Or is the problem more that handles.inputData is an expression? If that
> is the case, is there a way to point to this data structure that does not
> count as an expression?

If you're worried about memory, see above.

--
Steve Lord
slord@mathworks.com