Topic: It's The Politics, Stupid
Replies: 3   Last Post: Nov 7, 2012 4:36 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: It's The Politics, Stupid

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Robert Hansen wrote:

>> On Nov 7, 2012, at 11:28 AM, Paul Tanner wrote:
>>
>> Quote: "Japan and Korea do not allow grade retention."
>>

> Having two tracks, academic and vocational, probably alleviates most of the
> need for grade retention.

That's what I said in one of my messages that I in my prior message in this thread http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7919360
linked to.

But this article I cited and from which I quoted above (and the other article I cited) says that they (these two countries above as well as Finland, which is cited in the other article) do not allow it, meaning that they go further than simply having the benefits of having a vocational track in high school.

And I note that in these two East Asian countries the percentage of the population that goes into a vocational high school is nowhere near as high as the percentage we see in Europe. In Europe, depending on the country, roughly half to as high as roughly two thirds of the entire population goes not to an academic high school but to a vocational high school, to choose training in as high as on the order of 100 different vocational areas.