Topic: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Replies: 48   Last Post: Nov 13, 2012 2:24 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?

Kirby Urner posted Nov 8, 2012 12:39 AM (GSC's further remarks/responses interspersed):

> On Tue, Nov 6, 2012 at 10:40 PM, GS Chandy
> <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > I personally believe Obama's win is 'potentially' a
> very good thing indeed for the US and for the world -
> for anyone who believes in the democratic rights of
> ALL people, everywhere (as against the undemocratic
> rights of the rich). Maybe - just MAYBE; no
> guarantees here!! - the US will now at last provide
> some much-needed world leadership in this direction.

> > Admittedly, Obama has not by any means fulfilled

> the promise that he showed before his election - nor
> has he adequately fulfilled his promises made to the
> US and to the world before his election.

> On many levels, US citizens have an extremely warped
> / distorted set
> of expectations regarding the presidency. This is
> understandable in
> light of a long history projecting ruling powers
> (supposedly divinely
> infused) on royalty and courts, not that these don't
> actually have
> power as switch board decision making organs (they
> do).

Why US citizens alone? I noticed that. here in India, THE TOP news on local TV channels for the week (perhaps the entire month) preceding November 6th was always about the US presidential election. Almost as though life in India had stopped during this period. I believe this must have been because the people at the TV channels who decide such things would have decided that their viewers first and foremost wanted to hear about your presidential elections! (And I do believe, from various conversations I overheard/participated in, that they were not far wrong).

> > I notice that another thread has deplored and found
> worrisome Obama's admission to being mathematically
> illiterate - though he was defended there to the
> effect that it was only in jest that he had admitted
> this. In jest or seriously - that IS surely a
> worrisome matter for the kind of leadership that the
> US can provide the world in the difficult years to
> come.

> > GSC

> It's the immaturity of the US citizenry that I
> struggle with (which
> immaturity manifests in a scape goaty presidency).

Not to worry. I know for sure that the Indian citizenry is not any more mature than the US citizenry - and I guess that is true of any citizenry anywhere in the world - and that it is only too easy for the political+ bureaucratic+ intellectual establishment to convince us that 'elections' (presidential/parliamentary/ whatever) = 'democracy'. (Which seems to suggest a worthwhile 'Mission' to add to my 'OPMS plate': "To understand that 'elections' does not necessarily = 'democracy'").

> The layer of fictional screenwriting is pretty thick
> and TV is an
> effective teaching medium -- many consequences.
>
> TV teaches passivity (the life of a go-to-work couch
> potato) until /
> unless you learn to make TV yourself, in which case
> you watch with a
> more critical eye, awake to the fictional aspects
> (less a sucker) and
> interested in camera technique (more a "director's
> eye").
>
> Ergo school should be a lot more about making, not
> just watching,
> television (I use the word indistinctly, to cover
> video, film).

School should, I believe, be all about learning and/or thinking (with TV playing the role of a useful tool, perhaps - whether it is 'watched' or 'made'). Check out the attachment, for some useful/interesting Missions in this direction - and do feel free to suggest others that I should put up there.

> I know that sounds expensive, but on the contrary
> it's not up to
> taxpayers to provide in many cases. I'm up for
> stacking all the
> military costs directly on taxpayers as their primary
> liability as
> citizens (the flip side of a Reaganesque position),
> and then seeing
> what's left over. Could be that US taxpayers give
> 0.0 in foreign aid
> once all military (including VA, pensions) are
> subtracted, and that
> much education is borrowed not-revenue too. Paul
> will maybe run the
> numbers for us.
>
> Once military expenses, broadly interpreted, are
> subtracted from
> net IRS revenue, what's left for taxpayers to take
> credit for? Do USA
> citizens even pay for their own schools? Or is that
> China again?
>
> Kirby

I guess US citizens (and/or Chinese citizens, and/or Indian citizens as well, perhaps) should think this out a bit. See attachment.

GSC

Date Subject Author
11/7/12
Read Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
GS Chandy
11/7/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Wayne Bishop
11/7/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/7/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Robert Hansen
11/7/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/7/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Robert Hansen
11/8/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/8/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Robert Hansen
11/8/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/8/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Robert Hansen
11/8/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/7/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
kirby urner
[...]
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
kirby urner
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
kirby urner
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/10/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
kirby urner
11/10/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/10/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
kirby urner
11/11/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/11/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
kirby urner
11/11/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/12/12
[...]
Dave L. Renfro
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Robert Hansen
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
GS Chandy
11/11/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Domenico Rosa
11/12/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
GS Chandy
11/13/12