Topic: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Replies: 48   Last Post: Nov 13, 2012 2:24 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 4:03 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Nov 7, 2012, at 9:05 PM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> No. I do not see what you mean. There are many reasons why people are
> where they are or in the jobs they have or whatever - family, friends,
> climate, geography, congestion, etc. Money is the not the only thing.
> Get real.
>

> See, that is what I am talking about.

??? You try to get away with condemning me as a hypocrite for not
living as if money is the only thing, and you say this?

And you need to explain why you think that anything you've said so far
in any way negates what I said in my post in this thread

and in all the links I gave in that post, since nothing of what you've
said negates it in any way.

And here's some algebra showing that your conservative claim that
people are better off in what economists a low-value-added economy
like Mississippi than in what economists call a high-value-added
economy like New York state:

If I in New York state make twice as much as you in Mississippi and
even if if my basic cost of living (basic necessities) on absolute all
necessary items were twice as high as yours (but it never is, since I
would not pay twice as much on the same national brand of toothpaste
or whatever especially at the same national retailer), I still have
more purchasing power than you, even with a higher tax rate. That is,
by the distributive property, I have twice as much money as you left
over after basic living expenses before taxes, and after taxes because
of a higher tax rate somewhat less than twice as much money left over
than you.

And this almost twice as much money would buy much more than what you
have left over. That is, you would be wrong to try to argue that
*everything* I could possibly buy would be twice as expensive as you -
for many items, the price would be the same or close to the same. For
example, when buying clothing or any other consumer item you can think
of - vitamins, TV sets, stereo systems, whatever - out of catalogs or
online from the big national sales companies like Sears, you and I pay
the same price. And this same price phenomenon holds when you go into
these stores themselves in New York state vs Mississippi - they have
to, since charging me in New York twice as much money for the same
item I can buy online for half that price would put their stores in
New York state out of business. That is, the phenomenon of mail order
and now online buying causes these companies to charge a national
price that is essentially what people in the poorest states can
afford.

Therefore it is proved via the distributive property of algebra that
one really is better off making more money at one's job even in a
higher cost of living situation.

> By the way, in June 2012 the teachers in Norway went on strike...
>
> http://www.ei-ie.org/en/news/news_details/2181
>
> Guess what it was about?

So what? It negates nothing of what I said in that post above and in
all the links given. Nothing. That is, you will always find that
people will never be satisfied even if they have created more per
capita wealth and prosperity than anyone else.

Oh? You argue the silliness and nonsense that the fact of human nature
that people will never be satisfied is an argument against the fact
that Norway has created more per capita wealth and prosperity than
anyone else?

Date Subject Author
11/7/12
Read Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
GS Chandy
11/7/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Wayne Bishop
11/7/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/7/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Robert Hansen
11/7/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/7/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Robert Hansen
11/8/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/8/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Robert Hansen
11/8/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/8/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Robert Hansen
11/8/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/7/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
kirby urner
[...]
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
kirby urner
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
kirby urner
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/10/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
kirby urner
11/10/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/10/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
kirby urner
11/11/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/11/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
kirby urner
11/11/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Paul A. Tanner III
11/12/12
[...]
Dave L. Renfro
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Robert Hansen
11/9/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
GS Chandy
11/11/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
Domenico Rosa
11/12/12
Read Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?
GS Chandy
11/13/12