Topic: Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific
Research - Response To Greeno

Replies: 12   Last Post: Nov 9, 2012 12:16 PM

Alain Schremmer

Re: Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific Research - Response To Greeno

On Nov 8, 2012, at 10:34 AM, He, Jing Yun wrote:

> In Ancient China, my ancestors formulated a good way of teaching:
> They did not ask learners to jump to study, instead, they asked
> their students to prepare to learn. Preparation takes many years
> before learners are able to learn. Preparation includes learners
> straighten up their attitudes and build up humble attitudes.

Humble in what way? Knowing the limits of one's knowledge? Or taking
the teachers' word that they know better?

> In other words, Preparation is to teach learners to be virtuous first.

I see a slight problem here: Who is to decide what virtue is?

> Then once the quality is established, then learners learn various
> kinds of knowledge based on their interests. Overall, nobody can
> teach learners who are not sincere in pursuing knowledge.

In reality, particularly in this country, things are a little bit more
complicated. Students entering two-year colleges
(1) have been brainwashed for twelve years into "knowing" that
learning means memorizing and that they cannot hack it.
(2) find it very difficult to accept that they have been brainwashed
if only because that makes them feel like suckers.

> If a horse does not want to drink water, then it is useless to force
> the horse to drink.

True but things are a bit different with students in two-year colleges
confronted with mathematics because they are usually not really
offered to study mathematics but to continue on a path---memory based
"learning"---which they know they cannot hack.

It is interesting to see what happens when these same students are led
on a different path, namely learning how to think by themselves the
way mathematicians do rather than take the teacher's word---in other
words on a reason based path.

> A horse trainer will let the horse thirsty before lead it to bank of
> water.

Why should it be the horse trainer to want the horse to drink? Why
can't he leave it to the horse?

> Education should do the same thing!

This society makes sure that nobody is that thirsty so that they can
then be led to accept any nonsense.

Regards
--schremmer
> *
> * Archives at http://mathforum.org/kb/forum.jspa?forumID=184 *

Date Subject Author
11/7/12
Read Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific
Research - Response To Greeno
Richard Hake
11/7/12
Read Re: Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific Research - Response To Greeno
Alain Schremmer
11/8/12
Read Re: Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific Research - Response To Greeno
GS Chandy
11/8/12
Read Re: Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific Research - Response To Greeno
He, Jing Yun
11/8/12
Read Re: Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific Research - Response To Greeno
Alain Schremmer
11/8/12
Read Re: Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific Research - Response To Greeno
He, Jing Yun
11/8/12
Read RE: Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific Research - Response To Greeno
Blustein, Bonnie
11/9/12
Read Re: Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific Research - Response To Greeno
Alain Schremmer
11/9/12
Read Re: Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific Research - Response To Greeno
Alain Schremmer
11/8/12
Read Re: Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific Research - Response To Greeno
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
11/9/12