Topic: Romney Wasn't Conservative Enough -- Statistically Feasible?
Replies: 10   Last Post: Nov 14, 2012 9:57 AM

Greeno

Re: Romney Wasn't Conservative Enough -- Statistically Feasible?
att1.html (13.1 K)

Maybe it wasn't all that far off topic.

The initial, ultra-simplistic, left-right model might be expanded into one that better reflects realities. The voting population has many *dimensions of concern* (issues, sentiments, values, plights, projections, etc.) ... along which each individual's voter's preference might be some number [as some would have it] between -10 (very strongly opposed) and +10 (very strongly favoring).

Within that multi-dimensional space of voter concerns, each voter thus carries his or her profile ... as does each population. Also, along each dimension, the voter's numeric "place-value" rating for each dimension is weighted by that voter (say in %) with regard for how important that dimension is, to that voter ... likewise for populations. [Some elections were just backlash-lost because some candidates recently infuriated voters ... about matters very dear to their hearts.]

When each such multi-dimensional voter-profile must be collapsed into a single vote for A or B, the final tally might not be at all indicative that one or the other was too much/little "this or that" ... based on clustering voter dispositions into opposing "this"/"that" categories ... as politicians must try to do. The decisive factor might not be those categories, at all ... e.g. not conservative or liberal, but who was funnier at the debates.

Meanwhile, back at mathedcc, the nation's TYC teachers of mathematics are continually voting about proposals for curriculum reforms. The voters might be classified as "conservatives" or "liberals" or in between. But their votes reflect their individual profiles within the context of who is concerned about what ... and how much so, along each dimension. The decisive dimensions of concern (e.g. comfort/discomfort) might actually have little to do with whatever dimensions (e.g. dropout rates) are visibly touted.

Cordially,
Clyde