Topic: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier confuses kids!
Replies: 2   Last Post: Nov 9, 2012 9:09 AM

Clyde Greeno @ MALEI

Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier confuses kids!

Jonathan:

Re, your: " Do you better appreciate how multiplicands and multipliers are
different and why it's misleading to 'dumb down' explanations of the
elements of multiplication to interchangeable factors and a product?"

You are declaring that children learn arithmetic most naturally via the
mathematics of *quantities" which have whole-number numerators. In that much
you surely are correct. But much of your rhetoric and logic will be
simplified if you rework it all through the context of quantities.

A quantity is a pair, nD, where n is a number (the "numerator" in the
quantity), and D (that quantity's "denomination") is a *kind* of things (or
a name for all things of that kind) ... as in 3A or 3(apples) or 3(2s) or
3(8ths) or 3(negatives) or 3(bones) ... often called "monomials."

Your distinction between multiplicands and multipliers actually is the
distinction between quantities and numbers. What you are calling "invisible
numbers" are more commonly called *scalars* or "coefficients". Indeed, the
"combos" of such quantities ... as in 3A(pples)+2B(ananas) ... constitute a
primitive kind of *vector space*. Your "multipliers" are the scalar numbers,
and your multiplicands are quantities ... as with 3*2B(ones)= 6B: quantities
2B and 6B, multiplier,3.

It is a bit foolish to argue that "3x2" always means a scalar multiple of a
unit-quantity. In the case of rectangular area, for example, 3S(quares)-by-
2S(quares) yields 6S(quares) ... and in mechanics, 3F(eet) @ 2P(ounds) is
6W(orks), in ft-lbs ... and in Podo's case, 3T(rips)@2B(ones) = 6B. NOT
foolish is your recognition that children's *natural* entry into
"multiplication" is NOT strictly numerical ... but very quantitative because
it is strongly linguistic, and it heavily relies on counting things.

The point that you trying to make is well founded: along each whole-scalars
quantity-scale ...[ 0A, 1A, 2A,...] its scalar additions/subtractions, and
its scalar multiplications and remainder-divisions, are natural consequents
of using adjectives within a spoken language ... although each kind of
"multiplications" among quantities requires its own "definition."

In one example, above, SxS=S is a "multiplication" of quantities along a
single Q-scale. In another, above, FxP=W uses a cross-scale
"multiplication." Cross-denomination multiplications are essential to
arithmetic ... but are not nearly as natural as is scalar multiplication of
quantities. S, all cross-denomination "multiplications" must be seap[arately
developed/defined.

Children can "multiply" pizzas x prices to get costs ... but for pizzas x
pizzas, the meaning would have to come from an unusual context (or from
creating an unnatural table). For example, by using rows and columns of
pizzas, 3P x 3P = 9P (or a 9P square) ... and they might all be square.

As for signs ... -3(4negs) ... or -(3(4negs)) ... is not illogical. When
"negs" are regarded as a quantity's denomination, and 4 as its numerator, 3
of 4N(egs) = 12N and the negative of that is -12N.

In Podo's 3@2B(ones), the quantity, 2B, is scalar-multiplied by 3, to get
the quantity, 6B.

In English (wherein adjectives are before their subjects), 3 of the 2N(egs)
quantity gives the quantity, 6N(egs) ... while -2 of the 3P(os)) = -(2(3P))
= -6P. That leaves a conceptual gap to be closed. When it comes to scalar
additions/multiples of quantities, commutatively does not apply, but a kind
of "associativity" does, as does a kind of "distribution" across the vector
combos.

You can clean up most of your mathematics by studying
http://arapaho.nsuok.edu/~okar-maa/news/okarproceedings/OKAR-2005/clgreeno-part1.html.
But what impresses me is that you have given the matter so much thought that
you have essentially re-discovered a very important part (the quantity
theory) of the vector theory of arithmetic. Good show!

Cordially,

Clyde