Topic: Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific
Research - Response To Greeno

Replies: 12   Last Post: Nov 9, 2012 12:16 PM

Alain Schremmer

Re: Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific Research - Response To Greeno

On Nov 8, 2012, at 9:24 PM, He, Jing Yun wrote:

> A teacher cannot teach those who think that they know everything! In
> other words, if a learner is arrogant, simply you cannot teach this
> person!

The problem in Two-Year colleges, particularly in Developmental
Education, would seem to be rather the opposite: after twelve years of
school, they are completely convinced that they "have never been good
in math".

> "Who is to decide what virtue is?"
> Culture and sages decide what virtues are!

That is a very debatable view. For instance, Ancient Greece was a
culture based on slavery, deforested the whole land in order to build
fleets with which to make war, etc.

> "If a horse does not want to drink water, then it is useless to
> force the horse to drink."
> A lot of learners in school do not want to learn.

Maybe, but it sure is an excellent excuse for the teachers.

> but they learn simply they learn for their parents or other selfish
> reasons! Thus, I think that they are just like horses that do not
> drink.
>
> "Why should it be the horse trainer to want the horse to drink? Why
> can't he leave it to the horse?"
>
> The horse trainer are teachers and parents. Horses that do not want
> to drink are children who do not want to learn.

I understood the simile. My question, "Why can't he leave it to the
horse?", was different.

Leaving the simile aside, why do we teach the students rather than
help them learn by (a) structuring the contents to make the learning
trajectory across the contents be more "natural" and (b) being a
resource helping students formulate, deal with and answer questions?

Regards
--schremmer

> *
> * Archives at http://mathforum.org/kb/forum.jspa?forumID=184 *

Date Subject Author
11/7/12
Read Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific
Research - Response To Greeno
Richard Hake
11/7/12
Read Re: Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific Research - Response To Greeno
Alain Schremmer
11/8/12
Read Re: Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific Research - Response To Greeno
GS Chandy
11/8/12
Read Re: Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific Research - Response To Greeno
He, Jing Yun
11/8/12
Read Re: Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific Research - Response To Greeno
Alain Schremmer
11/8/12
Read Re: Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific Research - Response To Greeno
He, Jing Yun
11/8/12
Read RE: Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific Research - Response To Greeno
Blustein, Bonnie
11/9/12
Read Re: Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific Research - Response To Greeno
Alain Schremmer
11/9/12
Read Re: Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific Research - Response To Greeno
Alain Schremmer
11/8/12
Read Re: Necessary and Sufficient Conditions For Genuine Scientific Research - Response To Greeno
Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
11/9/12