Topic: Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier
confuses kids!

Replies: 3   Last Post: Nov 10, 2012 3:57 AM

Clyde Greeno @ MALEI

Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier confuses kids!

A worthy observation about " ..."expressions with variables" as objects in
their own right ...."
It truly puts a finger on a major cause for the American disaster in
mathematics education.
Much curricular talk about "algebraic expressions" ... and almost no talk
about what they actually *express*!

All too often, students have no idea of what such "expressions" are talking
about. So they are forced to view such formalisms as meaningless text with
they are expected to perform data-processing tasks as prescribed by authors
and teachers.

In the 1960's, the SMSG Committee on Algebra (Swain, Dolciani, et al) came
up with the phrase "algebraic expression" because they thought that
"formulas" should be *equations.* Apparently, none had ever worked in
manufacturing industries ... or in a kitchen ... or looked the word up in a
dictionary.

for·mu·la ? ?[fawr-myuh-luh]
noun, plural for·mu·las, for·mu·lae ?[-lee] Show IPA.
1.a set form of words, as for stating or declaring something definitely or
authoritatively, for indicating procedure to be followed, or for prescribed
use on some ceremonial occasion.
2. any fixed or conventional method for doing something: His mystery stories
were written according to a popular formula.
3. Mathematics .
a. a rule or principle, frequently expressed in algebraic symbols.
b. such a symbolic expression.
4. Chemistry . an expression of the constituents of a compound by symbols
and figures. Compare empirical formula, molecular formula, structural
formula.
5. a recipe or prescription
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Introductory algebra is all about formulas for performing calculations.
Like any kitchen recipe a mathematical formula consists of "ingredients" and
instructions on how to combine those ingredients. Use such and such ... in
this and that way ... to *produce* so and so. For the perimeters of
rectangles, one formula is "2L+2W." It tells how to combine L's and W's to
get perimeters. In more technical vernacular, formulas are combinations of
functions ... which act on their entries.

The "Algebra Committee" would argue the "formula" is the "equation", 2L+2W=P
... where "2L+2W" is one "expression" and "P" is another "expression." Part
of the ignor-ance was ignoring the "gives" use of "="... which now is how
the [=] key is used on all calculators. Instead, the Committee regarded "="
as always meaning that the "expressions" on the two sides are synonyms.

Another part of the ignor-ance was that, as students, the Committee members
had not been taught about functions until calculus. So they ignored the
concept of functions, believing that it was too "advanced" for introductory
algebra. [Meanwhile, another committee was teaching "function machines" to
elementary school children.] The eventual outcome is that we now have an
"algebra" curriculum that is all about manipulating text expressions which
have very little meaning.

True, the "2+3=5" equation can be taken to mean that the "2+3" phrase means
5. But the *reason* that "2+3" expresses 5 is that "2+3" is a *formula* ...
and if you execute that formula ... by [=] ... you will get to 5. As
combinations of functions, formulas have definitive meanings. If "algebraic
expressions" are to make any mathematical sense at all, they must be
revealed as expressing formulas.

Even very young students learn to regard formulas as objects ... and later
to manipulate those ... far more easily than doing so with "expressions"
that are seen only as text.

Cordially,
Clyde