Topic: weighting AP classes
Replies: 2   Last Post: Nov 13, 2012 8:33 AM

bill wickes

RE: weighting AP classes
att1.html (4.4 K)

Hi Michelle,

I will find out what is done at the school where my husband teaches, but in
the meantime I can tell you what is done at the school our children attend.
Up until 2011, AP classes in our school were not weighted differently from
other classes. Due to parental pressure, the school began weighting
(effective 2011.) However, in reality the AP classes continue with exactly
the same weight as non-AP, so all the changes had a zero net effect.
Parents of AP students, (such as my husband and I) had hoped the weighting
of AP would accurately show that the APs were more challenging- therefore
deserving of a higher weight. (This is the way it is done in the other
local schools.)Parental pressure from non AP parents maintained that regular
classes also receive an AP (higher) weighting because their children find
the regular classes challenging.

I know this won't help you, but that is how it's done in our district
currently. Do you teach the AP courses? I am very interested in your
opinion on grade weighting.

Thank you.

F. Wickes