Topic: Cantor's first proof in DETAILS
Replies: 34   Last Post: Dec 1, 2012 10:56 AM

Charlie-Boo

Re: Cantor's first proof in DETAILS

On Nov 12, 4:05 am, Zuhair <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Apologies beforehand for this long proof, and for any possible errors,
> typos, mistakes that most possibly would be there with such a long
> draft. I'v written this with the intention to give what I think it to
> be the complete story of Cantor's first proof. So the following is my
> view of this proof, it came from reading on-line proofs other than the
> original one, since I don't have the original article of Cantor.
> References given below.
>
> If a mistake in this proof is noticed, then please feel free to
> outline it.
>
> CANTORS FIRST PROOF OF UNCOUNTABILITY OF REALS
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-----
>
> Statement: There is no bijection between the set N of all naturals
> and the set R of all reals.
>
> Proof:
> We prove that for every injection (x_n) from N to R, there
> exist a real J such that J not in the range of (x_n).
>
> Notation: for every x_i, i shall be called the place of x_i in (x_n),
> while x is the value of x_i. Whenever mentioned in this article
> symbols < , > , = and =/= are comparisons of the values of entries of
> sequences mentioned, while the places of those entries shall be
> compared by "lies before" , "lies after" , is the first entry, is the
> last entry, in the same place, etc..
>
> (x_n) is said to have the Intermediate Value property (IVP) iff
> for every two entries x_i,x_j of (x_n) there exist an entry x_k
> of (x_n) such that: x_i < x_k < x_j or x_i > x_k > x_j
>
> If (x_n) don't possess IVP, then it is easy to find J.
>
> If (x_n) possess IVP, then we construct sequences (a_n), (b_n)
> in the following manner:
>
> Let a_0 = x_0
> Let b_0 be the first entry in (x_n) such that b_0 > a_0.
> Let a_i+1 be the first entry in (x_n) such that a_i < a_i+1 < b_i.
> Let b_i+1 be the first entry in (x_n) such that a_i+1 < b_i+1 < b_i.
>
> We notice that for every i,j: j>i -> (a_j > a_i) & (b_j < b_i)
> i.e. (a_i) is an increasing sequence, and (b_i) is a decreasing
> sequence.
>
> We also notice that for every i: a_i < b_i
> since a_0 < b_0, and since by definition
> for all i. a_i+1 < b_i+1, then by
> induction:
>
> for all i: a_i < b_i.
>
> From that we have the following result:
>
> Result 1: for all i. for all a_i. Exist a_i+1 (a_i < a_i+1).
> Result 2: for all i. for all b_i. Exist b_i+1 (b_i+1 < b_i)
>
> Result 3: for all i,j: a_i < b_j
> Proof: either i=j, or i<j or i>j
> if i=j then a_i < b_i & b_i = b_j so by identity a_i < b_j
> if i<j then a_i < a_j & a_j < b_j then by transitivity a_i < b_j
> if i>j then a_i < b_i & b_i < b_j then by transitivity a_i < b_j
>
> Define (lies before): for all i,k. a_i lies before x_k in (x_n) iff
> Exist m. a_i = x_m & m < k
>
> Define (lies after): for all i,k. a_i lies after x_k in (x_n) iff
> Exist m. a_i = x_m & k < m.
>
> Similar definitions applies to b_i.

> [...]

This is very sloppy. You need to give a high level explanation
first. Otherwise, people have to waste time going through formalisms
when the problem is with the logic and can be exposed by examining the
logic alone. You immediately go into your formalisms. This is like
trying to figure out someone's computer programs without the specs
(higher level) or documentation (redundant statements that serve only
to clarify by expressing something in a different way.)

C-B

Date Subject Author
11/12/12
Read Cantor's first proof in DETAILS