Topic: weighting AP classes
Replies: 2   Last Post: Nov 13, 2012 8:33 AM

Tony George

RE: weighting AP classes
att1.html (5.2 K)

Be careful with weighting classes. The school my son attends weights
classes and last year it would have raised his cum if he had dropped
Physics and Band, two classes that are not weighted. His grades for
those classes were 100 and 99. Yes, he's in the running for tops in his
class and there were students who either dropped or did not take those
same classes in order to enhance their chances.I guess what I'm saying
is that weighting to heavily can have adverse affects on participation
in non weighted classes.

Tony George
Math Department Chair
Attica High School
3338 East Main Street
Attica, NY 14011
585-591-0400 ext. 1117

tgeorge@atticacsd.org

>>> William Wickes <wickes@optonline.net> 11/10/12 1:23 PM >>>
Hi Michelle,
I will find out what is done at the school where my husband teaches,
but in the meantime I can tell you what is done at the school our
children attend. Up until 2011, AP classes in our school were not
weighted differently from other classes. Due to parental pressure, the
school began weighting (effective 2011.) However, in reality the AP
classes continue with exactly the same weight as non-AP, so all the
changes had a zero net effect. Parents of AP students, (such as my
husband and I) had hoped the weighting of AP would accurately show that
the APs were more challenging- therefore deserving of a higher weight.
(This is the way it is done in the other local schools.)Parental
pressure from non AP parents maintained that regular classes also
receive an AP (higher) weighting because their children find the regular
classes challenging.
I know this won?t help you, but that is how it?s done in our district
currently. Do you teach the AP courses? I am very interested in your
opinion on grade weighting.
Thank you.
F. Wickes