Topic: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier
confuses kids!

Replies: 32   Last Post: Nov 17, 2012 11:13 AM

kirby urner

Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier
confuses kids!

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 2:48 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Nov 12, 2012, at 1:58 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I mean she's now in college on scholarship studying STEM subjects,
> health care slant.
>

> I guess I was looking for something more observable. Like google code
> contests or AP calc and physics. Did you notice that she could think more
> rationally (formal reasoning) at some point?
>
> Bob Hansen

I think the debating coaches / team / experience did more to steer her
into philosophy, where logic is historically used in dialogs e.g.
Socrates conversing with his students. Her event, Lincoln-Douglas
style debate, explicitly requires reading the likes of Kant, Hume,
Locke etc. She's reading similar literature in college, plus tackling
German.

I don't think the arithmetic / algebra teachers have much to do with
teaching formal reasoning skills in today's world given the content
they pander is ipso facto obsolete. They don't come across as
rational beings or, closer to the truth, they come across as
imprisoned animals, slaves to nationally pandered snake oil that
passes for curriculum. No A- or B- modules though, unless maybe at
Winterhaven PPS.

Her work at Oregon Health Sciences University is likely on file.
That's not an AP score I realize.

In my case, I was a product of the New Math curriculum, later despised
by the backlashers (fundamentalist back to basic types). I scored
1490 in the SAT and placed into Honors Calculus under Thurston, none
the worse for the experience. I did sample Florida's schooling for
one semester in high school. If it hadn't been for Star Trek on TV, I
think I would have keeled over in boredom. Once I got to the
Philippines, things improved. The Philippines is an Anglophone nation
and has a lot of good STEM teachers. I'm glad US students tend to get
lots of exposure to this ethnicity.

When living in the Philippines, I had access to 'Sesame Street' and
this later fired my interest in writing for Childrens Television
Workshop. I submitted a proposal while working at McGraw-Hill, but of
course cubicle workers on some 28th floor are not the ones being
solicited by RFPs of that nature. I only recount this incident (from
the 1980s) because it shows I've always been fascinated by television,
not just the Internet (not that these are easy to disentangle).

Kirby

Date Subject Author
11/12/12
Read Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier
confuses kids!
kirby urner
11/12/12
Read Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier confuses kids!
Robert Hansen
[...]
11/13/12
Read Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier
confuses kids!
Joe Niederberger
11/13/12
Read Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier confuses kids!
Robert Hansen
11/13/12
Read Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier confuses kids!
Robert Hansen
11/13/12
Read Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier
confuses kids!
Joe Niederberger
11/13/12
Read Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier
confuses kids!
Joe Niederberger
11/13/12
Read Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier
confuses kids!
Joe Niederberger
11/14/12
Read Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier confuses kids!
Robert Hansen
11/14/12
Read Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier
confuses kids!
kirby urner
11/15/12
Read Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier
confuses kids!
kirby urner
11/15/12
Read Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier confuses kids!
Robert Hansen
11/15/12
Read Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier
confuses kids!
kirby urner
11/15/12
Read Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier confuses kids!
Robert Hansen
11/16/12
[...]
11/17/12