Topic: Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier
confuses kids!

Replies: 15   Last Post: Nov 12, 2012 7:54 PM

kirby urner

Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier
confuses kids!

att1.html (2.4 K)

On Mon, Nov 12, 2012 at 2:57 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2012, at 8:01 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I have this theory that there is a natural progression to all of this.

When
> we lay down the ideas and theory of mathematics in a student, that process
> inevitably follows the same pattern in which it was discovered by

humankind.

> Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny -- an over-used, over-applied cliche
> that's often misleading when not plain wrong
>

> Actually, it is pretty well accepted in the context I put it.
>
> Bob Hansen

In the talk I'm giving on Tuesday, we'll be looking at Tractor Graphics,
which is just simplified turtle graphics using ASCII "fields of grain" (XY
grids).

Tractor Graphics connects to the open source tractor project and the
project to distill the essentials of civilization to some 50 (?) machines.

http://www.convergeproject.org/node/106 (so similar to your thought
experiment about rebuilding to an iPad level, but starting further along)

A subclass of Tractor, called CropCircleTractor, is pre-programmed to do a
Mandelbrot Set. Actually we set 40 of them going in parallel.

http://climateerinvest.blogspot.com/2012/09/us-farmers-scramble-to-buy-brazils.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/picturegalleries/howaboutthat/8891410/Alien-and-UFO-sightings-and-famous-hoaxes.html?image=20

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ig_Nobel_Prize

This is not the usual sequence in which adults encounter these ideas.

The ASCII grid is my spring-board to discussing both "color depth" (bits
per pixel) and "character depth" (options to string element).

Most USA kids graduate high school not knowing about Unicode. Their ETS
does not require it. They are borg. Resistence (for them) is futile.

Kirby

Date Subject Author
11/10/12
Read Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier
confuses kids!
Joe Niederberger
11/10/12
Read Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier confuses kids!
Robert Hansen
11/10/12
Read Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier
confuses kids!
kirby urner
11/10/12
Read Re: How teaching factors rather than multiplicand & multiplier confuses kids!
Robert Hansen
11/11/12
[...]
11/12/12