Topic: Parsing Strings
Replies: 3   Last Post: Nov 13, 2012 7:19 PM

dpb

Re: Parsing Strings

On 11/13/2012 3:56 PM, Kevin Ellis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a question regarding parsing strings. Suppose I have a string:
>
> S = '42.714 GAL OF SMALL BOAT FUEL @3.699 PER GAL.'
>
> I have been trying to figure out a way to remove the numbers 42.714 and
> 3.699 from the string. I have tried using 'sscanf' and 'regexp' to do
> this. Using regexp I can find the index of the numbers:

Is the text fixed or variable?

If it's fixed and simply values change you can use

x = sscanf(S,'%f GAL OF SMALL BOAT FUEL @%f');

sscanf() isn't flexible in mixing conversion of string and numeric
values but textscan() can.

In regexp the expression needed would be (assuming F format,not E)

s=regexp(S,'[0-9.]','match');

then convert the resulting strings.