Topic: NNTRAINTOOL requires Java which is not available
Replies: 4   Last Post: Jul 24, 2014 2:41 PM

Bogdan Gherman

Re: NNTRAINTOOL requires Java which is not available

"Lucas García" wrote in message <im0a98$ptc$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> "Javier Perez" wrote in message <ih4c93$jqc$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> > Dear list,
> > I'm trying to run a neural network using NN toolbox in MATLAB (R2010b in Unix systems) and I got the following error:
> > "NNTRAINTOOL requires Java which is not available"
> >
> > The program fails in "train" command. I've disabled the feedback given by MATLAB using net.trainParam.showWindow=false
> >
> > The program is called like this:
> > matlab -nodisplay -nodesktop -nosplash -r example.m
> >
> > I've tried with -nojvm option, but still the same error and Java is properly installed.
> > I've googled but no answers. Any tips??
> > Thanks,
> > Javier

> Hi Javier,
>
> Try commenting lines 27-29 by editing nntraintool.m. I recall this is a known bug when running in parallel mode as well. Also, turn off the Java GUI manually as you have done:
> net.trainParam.showWindow = false;
>
> Hope it helps.
>
> Lucas

I had the same problem, only that I wanted to train multiple Neural Networks in parallel, which produced the same error, even when I ran on the local scheduler not on a remote cluster.
I fixed it based on your suggestion Lucas, THANK YOU!

I just converted the line 33 of nntraintool.m from:
"error(message('nnet:Java:NotAvailable'));"
"warning(message('nnet:Java:NotAvailable'));"
So that I still remember that there is something fishy going on there!
It works like a charm!
This problem was present even in Matlab 2012a...

Bogdan