Topic: Cantor's argument and the Potential Infinite.
Replies: 17   Last Post: Nov 17, 2012 10:59 PM

Uirgil

Re: Cantor's argument and the Potential Infinite.

In article <k850hm$a03$2@dont-email.me>,
"LudovicoVan" <julio@diegidio.name> wrote:

> "Uirgil" <uirgil@uirgil.ur> wrote in message

> > In article <k84tuf$t03$1@dont-email.me>,
> > "LudovicoVan" <julio@diegidio.name> wrote:

> >> "Zuhair" <zaljohar@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> And you keep missing the point, as the various objections of course
> >> involve
> >> that the standard definition of cardinality for infinite sets is wrong!

> > But as far as any valid arguments are concerned, it appears AT LEAST
> > equally likely that the various objections are the things that are
> > wrong.

> If an argument is wrong, you should show that it is so or just pass, the
> rest is at best OT.

You are the one claiming that Cantor is wrong, but he has a proof and
you do not have a convincing counter-proof but your attempts to
disprove Cantor have so far all fallen flat.

> >> Cantor's arguments are *only* applied to potentially infinite sets, in
> >> fact
> >> in standard set theory there is no such thing as actual infinity at all.

> > ZFC offers a standard set theory in which actually infinite sets are not
> > only allowed but actually required to exist, and no one yet has been
> > able to show that ZFC is not a perfectly sound set theory.

> That is only because you are so incoherent as to insist to call N an actual
> infinity.

In ZFC, the N is an actually infinite set. So until you can show that
ZFC is internally inconsistent, which no one has yet done, we have
actual infinities in ZFC.

> >> Please get your head out of your ass and read and try to understand what
> >> you
> >> are rebutting before you actually get to do it.

> > AS far as head-in-ass-itis, LV appears you have a far worse case of it
> > than those you are criticizing.

> Sure, keep spamming and all that.

I notice in your own spamming a lack of any arguments relevant to the
Cantor issue.