Topic: how to assign multiple structure elements at once
Replies: 5   Last Post: Nov 17, 2012 10:01 AM

Matt J

Re: how to assign multiple structure elements at once

"Fatih" wrote in message <k859fd$1fr$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...

> Hi Mat,
> Thanks for your post, however that does not help me much and the reason is the structure organization should not be like the one you gave with your post.
> Say I have 10 buses (a) operating daily in a route and I am sampling every hour the number of passengers (s) riding each of those buses. Some of those buses can be broken at any sampling time, and I am only recording that data for good buses. So if that bus does not work any more the number of passengers field will not be updated anymore.
> So by looking at this example a.s(:,2) = [1;2;3] does not work. Maybe I should change the organization or just use a for loop.
> I was thinking there can be a trick like deal function that fits here nicely.

It sounds preferable to use a 10xN matrix where N is the number of sampling times to record the data and put it in NaN at hours where a particular bus is not working. Not only is this much easier to index/access, but notice also that that would ensure that your samples are always synchronized if a bus breaks for some period of samples and then starts working again. That's much harder to do if you simply don't record the activity of broken buses.