Replies: 108   Last Post: Dec 7, 2012 9:25 AM

Wally W.

Re: OT: Stephen Fry does something no human has ever done before

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 01:59:21 -0500, Wally W. wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Nov 2012 12:54:42 -0600, Sam Wormley wrote:
>

>>Stephen Fry does something no human has ever done before
>>> http://www.sciencedump.com/content/steven-fry-does-something-no-human-being-has-ever-done
>>
>>> 80658175170943878571660636856403766975289505440883277824000000000000
>>

>In fairness, the first look at the deck shows the four of spades on
>the bottom.
>
>He does not seem to be starting his on-camera shuffles with a "new"
>deck in standard order.
>
>But if the producers are worth their salt, that deck hasn't seen many
>shuffles before it got on camera.
>
>The odds would seem to be far greater than 1 in (52!) that no other
>deck of cards has ever been in that order before.

His claims are:
1. "That pack of cards, ladies and gentlemen, believe it or not, has
never before, in the history of our planet been in that order. It's
never been in that order before."

2. "This pack of cards has never been in this order before."

The diversion about countless packs of cards on trillions of planets
is just that: a diversion.

His claims were about a particular pack of cards, which has not
existed for the entire "history of our planet."

A reasonable response is: So what? Who cares about his particular pack
of cards?

Date Subject Author
Sam Wormley
manontheclaphamomnibus
[...]