Topic: How do you prove that 2+2=4? Is it enough to consider 2 objects,
then 2 more then put them together and count them and get 4, or do you have
to resort to fancy-schmancy methods?

Replies: 8   Last Post: Nov 18, 2012 7:45 PM

harold james

From: mission sd
Registered: 11/8/10
Re: How do you prove that 2+2=4? Is it enough to consider 2 objects, then 2 more then put them together and count them and get 4, or do you have to resort to fancy-schmancy methods?

> On Nov 16, 1:05 am, William Hale <bill...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:

> > In article
> >

> <cb47a428-b69f-4666-9c12-d82b83a12...@4g2000yql.google
> groups.com>,

> >  Charlie-Boo <shymath...@gmail.com> wrote:

> <17eeb626-2a35-4177-ad68-92cf18be5...@c16g2000yqe.goog
> legroups.com>,

> pages.  I don't know
> going on there (everyone just
> Peano Arithmetic proves it in
> based on the axioms x+0=x
> of x").

> link:
> >

> >http://archive.org/stream/PrincipiaMathematicaVolumeI
> /WhiteheadRussel...

> "2+2=4". For example, logical
> being proved.
> >
> > > People always say "It takes 100 pages to prove
> 1+1=2!" as if it's
> > > cool, contrary to Occam's Razor.  So how many
> pages are needed for the
> > > ultimate derivation of 1+1=2 (or 2+2=4 whatever)?
> >
> > > C-B
> >
> > Principia Mathematica is not trying to just prove

> "2+2=4". I believe
> > that its original purpose was to show that all of
> mathematics could be
> > derived from just logical principals (which I think
> even Whithehead
> > himself eventually rejected). Principia Mathematica
> is developing
> > theorems about logic and sets. From there, it shows
> how standard
> > mathematics like arithmetic might be derived.
> Principa Mathematica is
> > starting from axioms that are much more primitive
> than Peano's axioms
> > for the natural numbers,
>
> You cannot prove the 2 axioms for addition because
> they are the
> definition of addition. You only prove something
> about a function or
> relation after having defined it and its properties,
> then you can
> derive further conclusions about it. Peano defines
> addition and
> multiplication, and as a result when a+b=c we can
> prove that a+b=c.
> This is because the relation a+b=c is recursive so
> truth coincides
> with provability.
>
> How do you think they derived the fact that x+0=x for
> all x? How many
> pages does that take? Can you substantiate your
> claim?
>
> It is just silly to brag about taking 100 pages to
> prove a trivial
> fact that is nothing more than by definition of the
> numbers 1 and 2
> (or 2 and 4.)
>
> C-B
>

> > so it takes longer to reach the point where you
> > can prove "2+2=4".
> >
> > Here's a tinyURL for "Principia Mathematica":
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/cgmfzfb

I think this goes back to Russel and Whitehead taking over one hundred pages in their set theory book to prove 1+1 = 2

Date Subject Author
11/15/12
Read How do you prove that 2+2=4? Is it enough to consider 2 objects,
then 2 more then put them together and count them and get 4, or do you have
to resort to fancy-schmancy methods?
donstockbauer@hotmail.com
11/15/12
Read Re: How do you prove that 2+2=4?
William Elliot
11/16/12
Read Re: How do you prove that 2+2=4? Is it enough to consider 2 objects,
then 2 more then put them together and count them and get 4, or do you have
to resort to fancy-schmancy methods?
Charlie-Boo
11/16/12
Read Re: How do you prove that 2+2=4? Is it enough to consider 2 objects, then 2 more then put them together and count them and get 4, or do you have to resort to fancy-schmancy methods?
William Hale
11/16/12
Read Re: How do you prove that 2+2=4? Is it enough to consider 2 objects,
then 2 more then put them together and count them and get 4, or do you have
to resort to fancy-schmancy methods?
Charlie-Boo
11/16/12
Read Re: How do you prove that 2+2=4? Is it enough to consider 2 objects, then 2 more then put them together and count them and get 4, or do you have to resort to fancy-schmancy methods?
William Hale
11/17/12
Read Re: How do you prove that 2+2=4? Is it enough to consider 2 objects,
then 2 more then put them together and count them and get 4, or do you have
to resort to fancy-schmancy methods?
Charlie-Boo
11/18/12