Topic: Subscript on plus expression
Replies: 16   Last Post: Dec 3, 2012 3:18 AM

Murray Eisenberg

Re: Subscript on plus expression

On Nov 18, 2012, at 3:57 AM, Dave Snead <dsnead6@charter.net> wrote:

> Mathematica fails to parenthesize the a+b in
> Subscript[Plus[a,b],k]
>
> so the output looks identical to
> Plus[a,Subscript[b,k]]
>
> Is this a bug?
> Is there an option to force the parentheses?

I don't know off hand of any such option, but is it so unreasonable to
insert parentheses explicitly in the first? After all, that's surely
what you'd do if writing it with pencil on paper!

---
Murray Eisenberg
murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts 413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305