Topic: second largest element in a matrix
Replies: 32   Last Post: May 5, 2013 10:31 AM

dpb

Re: second largest element in a matrix

On 11/7/2012 2:04 PM, sssbi2009@gmail.com wrote:
> On Friday, April 3, 2009 5:59:02 PM UTC-5, Paul wrote:
>> "Oluwa KuIse"<wespeakforex@yahoo.com> wrote in message<gav3p9$som$1@fred.mathworks.com>...
> Hello,> Can anyone pls tell me how I can find the second (or third)
> largest element in a matrix AND its position. The max function gives
> the largest element and its position but how do I find the second
> largest element and its position?

> if temp is your vector, you can get the second largest element as
> follows: [c,i] = max(temp(temp~=max(temp)))
>
> why would you sort it? this
> is the whole point of logical addressing in matlab.
>
> [c,i] = max(temp(temp~=max(temp)))
> I like your answer. Could you show me how to write like this to fine the third max? Thanks

max(x(x<max(x(x~=max(x))))) % throws away ties

After a while it starts to get messy trying to keep straight the nesting
levels... :)

And, at some number it would make sense to just go ahead and get the
order vector. I've not tried any timings to see how many values and
what size vectors is the breakpoint...

--

Date Subject Author
9/18/08
9/19/08
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Steven Lord
9/19/08
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Oluwa KuIse
9/19/08
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Pekka
9/19/08
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Oluwa KuIse
9/21/08
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Greg Heath
9/24/08
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Walter Roberson
3/4/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Justin
4/6/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Bruno Luong
4/6/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Jos
4/6/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Bruno Luong
4/6/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Bruno Luong
4/6/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
mike zander
4/7/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Bruno Luong
4/7/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Bruno Luong
4/3/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Paul
11/7/12
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
sssbi2009@gmail.com
11/19/12
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
dpb
4/3/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Paul
4/3/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
mike zander
4/3/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
mike zander
4/3/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
mike zander
4/3/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Walter Roberson
4/3/09
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
mike zander
5/4/13
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
tilindg1@gmail.com
5/4/13
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
Nasser Abbasi
5/4/13
Read Re: second largest element in a matrix
dpb
5/5/13