Topic: Subscript on plus expression
Replies: 16   Last Post: Dec 3, 2012 3:18 AM

Bill Rowe

Re: Subscript on plus expression

On 11/18/12 at 5:15 PM, murray@math.umass.edu (Murray Eisenberg)
wrote:

>On Nov 18, 2012, at 3:57 AM, Dave Snead <dsnead6@charter.net> wrote:

>>Mathematica fails to parenthesize the a+b in Subscript[Plus[a,b],k]
>>so the output looks identical to Plus[a,Subscript[b,k]]
>>Is this a bug? Is there an option to force the parentheses?

>I don't know off hand of any such option, but is it so unreasonable
>to insert parentheses explicitly in the first? After all, that's
>surely what you'd do if writing it with pencil on paper!

That won't help since Mathematica will evaluate (a+b) to a+b
removing the parentheses before the full expression is
evaluated. The only way I can think of to create something that
at least looks like a subscripted sum would be to enter it in a
manner where Mathematica will not evaluate any part of it.

For example, I could set the input cell format to be a text cell
then create the expression. Of course the end result isn't
something that can be used in other computations.