Topic: PROLOG ENGINES ARE REALLLLLLY SLOW! ((SQL-UNIFY))
Replies: 5   Last Post: Nov 20, 2012 4:40 PM

Ulrich Neumerkel

Re: PROLOG ENGINES ARE REALLLLLLY SLOW! ((SQL-UNIFY))

Jan Burse <janburse@fastmail.fm> writes:
>Graham Cooper schrieb:
> > A lot of variable renaming conventions, trial and error,
> > backtracking... very tricky and particular code covering
> > dozens of potential matching scenerios!

>Already efficiently solved to some extend in the 70's. Have
>a read about the early childhood of Prolog systems:
>
>La naissance de Prolog
>Juillet 1992, A. Colmerauer, P. Roussel
>http://prolog.developpez.com/tutoriels/alain-colmerauer/histoire-prolog/fichiers/histoire-prolog.pdf

To round this up by a third party, I recommend the first chapter of:

L'anatomie de Prolog. M. van Caneghem. InterEditions 1986.

Another well underestimated English paper is:

Metamorphosis grammars. A. Colmerauer. LNCS 63. 1918.

which gives the "first" introduction to Prolog by Colmerauer
(apart from presenting DCG)