Topic: Image rotation detection probelm
Replies: 32   Last Post: Aug 8, 2013 10:46 PM

Darren g

Re: Image rotation detection probelm

Hi Phillip,

Many thanks. Yes. It is now working with your suggession. The problem I have encountered with those optional arguments is that I tried without quote as below
pim = polartrans(im, nrad, ntheta,cx,cy, log, valid);

Now it is working with quote for the 'log' and 'valid' as below.
pim = polartrans(im, nrad, ntheta,cx,cy, 'log', 'valid');
So far got to work up to transforming the two images to polatranform and can clearly see a shift on the two transformed images.
I have not understand the xcorre2 for cross-correlation that you mentioned earlier and the multiplication to calculate the angle of rotation and would appreciate any suggestion or part of the code if you can remember now.

Thanks.
Darren

"Phillip" wrote in message <k8em3u$eut$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...
> Hi Darren,
>
> When you have optional arguments like that, you have to omit them if you don't want to use them. Otherwise the function thinks you are trying to specify them, but because you haven't defined cx, cy, linlog, shape it gives an error. i.e. you need to change the call to polartrans to:
>
> pim = polartrans(im, nrad, ntheta);
>

> "Darren g" wrote in message <k8duk1$kjn$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...

> > Hi Phillip,
> >
> > Thanks for the detailed information. I am not an expert in matlab but currently learning for this image rotation measurement. I have tried the polartrans.m function. But, when calling this function what values I need to supply within the code. I tried nrad=256 and ntheta=360, are the width of my image and a full range of theta. My understanding is that the other parameters cx, cy, linlog, shape should take some default values but when running the code it show error "??? Undefined function or variable 'cx'". Here is the code I tried for polar transform.
> >
> > a=1;
> > image = strcat('',num2str(a,'%04d'),'.png');
> > im = imread(image);
> > figure(1);
> > imagesc(im);
> > axis image;
> > nrad = 256; ntheta = 360;
> > pim = polartrans(im, nrad, ntheta, cx, cy, linlog, shape);
> > figure(2);
> > imagesc(pim);title('Polar transform of image');
> > axis image;
> >
> > Any error in this code?
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> > Darren
> >

> > "Phillip" wrote in message <k81qc1$app$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...

> > > Hi Darren,
> > >
> > > From the link I gave above, I used the "polartrans.m" file.
> > >
> > > Once you have the two polar images, do a plain X/Y (translation) cross-correlation. If the images are just rotated and not stretched, the peak of the cross-correlation function will be displaced by some amount (I forget in which direction, but should be obvious when you display the images). Each division in the image is worth 2*pi/ntheta angular units (where ntheta is an argument that you give to the polartrans function).
> > >
> > > If you haven't done a cross-correlation before, have a look at xcorr2 (I think this requires the signal processing toolbox). Play around with images that just require a translation - once you have that figured out, do the same thing but using your polar images, and multiply by the amount given above to determine the angle.
> > >
> > > NB: In R2012 onwards the Image Processing toolbox has an "imregister" function that can apparently do all sorts of registrations, including rotations. I find it works well for some kinds of images but not others; you might want to give it a shot.

Date Subject Author
6/19/09
Read Image rotation detection probelm
Pradyumna A
6/19/09
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Matt
9/16/09
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Hamid Reza Mohseni Nejad
8/2/10
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Phillip
12/21/10
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
chee ali
12/21/10
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Phillip
12/21/10
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Matt J
12/21/10
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Phillip
11/14/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Darren g
11/14/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Phillip
11/19/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Darren g
11/19/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Phillip
11/20/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Darren g
11/20/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Phillip
11/26/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Darren g
11/26/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Phillip
11/27/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Darren g
11/28/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Phillip
11/29/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Darren g
12/2/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Phillip
12/3/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Darren g
12/4/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Phillip
12/11/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Darren g
12/11/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Phillip
12/12/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Darren g
12/12/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Steven Lord
2/6/13
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Darren g
12/20/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Phillip
12/20/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Kev
12/20/12
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
Kev
7/7/13
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
xmlfor
8/8/13
Read Re: Image rotation detection probelm
jacaboo