Topic: The Injurious School Culture Enforced by High-Stakes Testing
Replies: 15   Last Post: Nov 27, 2012 10:40 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: The Injurious School Culture Enforced by High-Stakes Testing

Haim posted Nov 21, 2012 5:49 AM:
> Richard Hake Posted: Nov 20, 2012 11:22 AM
>

> >Diane Ravitch has emerged as one of the leading
> >opponents of the education-reform movement. She has:

> Professor Hake,
>
> Would you be good enough to explain to this forum
> rum why there is an education reform movement in the
> first place?
>
> Haim
> No representation without taxation.

If I may be permitted to commit the doubtless serious sin of "Butting In" here, I could perhaps explain that any 'reform movement' (whether in education or in any other field of human endeavor) generally develops because the 'unreformed field' is perceived to be suffering from some 'deficiencies' that the 'reformers' wish to remove.

Haim, for instance, wishes to "PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!" because he feels that some entity, imaginary or real, that he calls the 'Education Mafia' is doing some bad things in the field of education. Professor Wayne Bishop wishes to "BLOW UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!" because he doubtless feels that the 'Schools of Education' are doing some naughty things in the field of education.

(I have my own doubts about the efficacy of the above-noted prescriptions for the ills that surely do exist in the field of education - but I shall keep those doubts to myself for the moment).

No doubt Professor Hake will be able to provide a better explanation than I have done above.

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!" - with apologies if due to Barry Garelick for any tedium caused; and with the simple observation that the EASY way to avoid any such tedium would be to refrain from opening any message that is purported to originate from GSC)