Topic: Matheology § 154: Consistency Proof!
Replies: 101   Last Post: Nov 25, 2012 5:08 PM

Virgil

Re: Matheology � 154: Consistency Proof!

In article
<8029d26e-ccf5-430d-a574-3edd01233cff@p22g2000vby.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 21 Nov., 16:54, William Hughes <wpihug...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > The real sequence has a limit. And if you dislike infinity as an
> > > improper limit, then take the reciprocals. They have *the* limit 0.

> > Correct.  Note that this limit is a real number.
> >

> > > This sequence is independent of anything else but its terms or its
> > > definition.

> > > Set theory shows that *this sequence* has a limit without indices on
> >
> > You do not define *this sequence*.

> This is exactly the same sequence. There is nothing further to define.
>

> > If you mean the sequence of real
> > numbers you are incorrect.

> I mean just this sequence of real numbers. And I am correct. Set
> theory does not leave any digit left of the decimal point in the
> limit.
>

> >  Set theory does say that there is
> > a limit of the set of digits to the left of the decimal place.
> > This limit is a set.

> And this limit excludes the existence of any digit, which implies that
> there is no digit.

> > > the left hand side, and hence has another limit (< 1) or no limit.
> >
> > The limit is {}.  {} is not a real number.  {} does not have a
> > reciprocal

> But the numbers allowed by an empty set of decimal left to the point
> has a reciprocal, namely a value larger than 1.

The "numbers allowed by an empty set of decimal left to the point" are
no numbers as all.

And numbers, plural, unless they are all equal. do not have "a"
reciprocal, they have reciprocals plural.

> > Two different limits which are not the same.

> But one of the limits excludes the other one. And that is a
> contradiction.

Neither excludes the other anywhere but in Wolkenmuekenheim.

> You can also conclude that two different calculations of the same
> stuff may lead to two different results because the calculations are
> different. But mathematics does not tolerate that. That would kill
> math.

Not any where nearly as fatally as adopting WMytheology would kill it,
--

Date Subject Author
11/18/12
11/18/12
Read Re: Matheology § 154: Consistency Proof!
William Hughes
11/18/12
Read Re: Matheology � 154: Consistency Proof!
Vurgil
11/19/12
Read Re: Matheology § 154: Consistency Proof!
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
11/19/12
Read Re: Matheology � 154: Consistency Proof!
Vurgil
11/19/12
Read Re: Matheology § 154: Consistency Proof!
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
11/19/12
Read Re: Matheology § 154: Consistency Proof!
William Hughes
11/19/12
Read Re: Matheology § 154: Consistency Proof!
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
11/19/12
Read Re: Matheology � 154: Consistency Proof!
Vurgil
11/20/12
Read Re: Matheology § 154: Consistency Proof!
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
11/20/12
Read Re: Matheology � 154: Consistency Proof!
Virgil
11/21/12
[...]
11/22/12
[...]
11/23/12
[...]
11/24/12
Read Re: Matheology § 154: Consistency Proof!
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
11/24/12
Read Re: Matheology � 154: Consistency Proof!
Virgil
11/23/12
Read Re: Matheology � 154: Consistency Proof!
Virgil
11/24/12
Read Re: Matheology § 154: Consistency Proof!
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
11/24/12
Read Re: Matheology � 154: Consistency Proof!
Virgil
11/25/12
Read Re: Matheology § 154: Consistency Proof!
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
11/25/12
Read Re: Matheology � 154: Consistency Proof!
Virgil
11/25/12
Read Re: Matheology § 154: Consistency Proof!
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
11/25/12
Read Re: WMatheology � 154: Consistency Proof!
Virgil
11/23/12
David Valdez