Topic: Number of lattice paths with given steps?
Replies: 7   Last Post: Nov 24, 2012 6:41 AM

William Elliot

Re: Number of lattice paths with given steps?

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012, IV wrote:
> "William Elliot" wrote in

> I mean only lattice paths, not lattice walks.
> Fray, R. D.; Roselle, D. P.: Weighted lattice paths. Pacific J. Math. 37

Weighted paths don't apply.

> Ch. A. Charalambides: "Enumerative Combinatorics", 2002: "Consider an
> orthogonal system of axes on the plane xy and the lattice defined by the
> straight lines x=i, i=0,+-1, +-2,..., and y=j, j=0,+-1,+-2,..., that are
> orthogonal to the (horizontal) axis x and the (vertical) axis y,
> respectively. A directed polygonal line on the lattice that leads from the
> point (r,s) to the point (n,k), r<=n, s<=k, through horizontal and vertical
> straight sections, positively directed, is called lattice path (or, more
> precisely, minimal lattice path) from the point (r,s) to the point (n,k)."
>
> A step is a line from one lattice point to an adjacent lattice point.
>
> My steps (1,y), better: (1,s), mean one move of length 1 in the x-direction
> and one move of length s in the y-direction, s a nonnegative integer.

The notation is inconsistent unto usless meaningless.

> The lattice paths with n1 steps (1,1), n2 steps (1,2), n3 steps (1,3), ... and

Is (1,1) in the x direction or the y direction?
Is (1,2) in the x direction or the y direction?
Is (1,3) in the x direction or the y direction?

What ever the direction, does the first 1 means a single
step from one point to an adjecent point?