Topic: Why is Matlab using such a small percentage of my CPU load?
Replies: 2   Last Post: Nov 26, 2012 8:59 AM

Nasser Abbasi

Re: Why is Matlab using such a small percentage of my CPU load?

On 11/23/2012 9:29 AM, Michael Levin wrote:
> I'm running a computation-intensive Matlab script but on my Quad-core Mac,
>the CPU load is very low. Is there any way to tell Matlab to go ahead and
> use a higher % of the CPU, or perhaps run several Matlab processes
>simultaneously and tell them to use a single core each, or ?

Most likely the cpu monitor you are looking at shows CPU for a process
based on over all number of cores. i.e. all cores add to 100%.

So, If a process, like Matlab, is using one core at 100%, and you have
say 10 cores, then this one process will show up as using only 10% of
the overall available CPU.

Matlab process can run on one core at a time. I read that some
functions can be threaded these days, so some Matlab functions can
run on more than one core. But common use I think is still single
threaded. But I could be wrong. I am using 2012a. Maybe new version
is different.

There is a toolboxe for parallel Matlab,
http://www.mathworks.com/parallel-computing/ I did not use it.

--Nasser