Replies: 108   Last Post: Dec 7, 2012 9:25 AM

Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway

Re: Stephen Fry does something no human has ever done before

"Mahipal" wrote in message

On Nov 23, 6:07 pm, Musatov <marty.musa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 23, 11:19 am, "Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of
> Medway"<LordAndroc...@November2012.org> wrote:

> > "Mahipal" wrote in message

[trim]

What's your age John? Perhaps the music one is exposed to is
influenced by age.
40 +/- 70 which anyone can guess at.
It's none of your business to ask personal questions on a public forum. Any
information I disclose about myself I give voluntarily and not under
interrogation. "Lord Androcles" is of course a pseudonym. "John" was an
error in a private email to a trusted correspondent who was not trustworthy,
but eggs cannot be unscrambled. Beware identity theft.

> > > [trim]

> > > "Floyd Pink of rock candy (with "Margate" extruded all the way through
> > > it)
> > > cannot be disguised as Green Joe of Opera Winfrey"
> > > Virdy - Verde - Giuseppe - Joe Green - Opera - Oprah. YOU started the
> > > play
> > > on
> > > words, I suspect your brain has been hijacked by gottasnip.

> > Very funny play on words. I get it, I think. I still cannot type the
> > end word in that sequence.
> > ====================================
> > gottasnip = got to snip, an often impulsive need to remove words
> > unnecessarily (impossible on paper without censorship) and a new
> > practice made possible only by the computer.
> > In days of old when letters were bold and postage was invented,
> > Man sent mail on the back of a snail and had to be contented.

No not the word gottasnip. The word after Opera. Must not type it.
WinFREE?

> > Word play games existed before I was born.
> > Used to Gettting Punnished daily in every Media manifestation. As if
> > that's the only form of joking modern journalists and comedians --
> > perhaps the two are one and the same behind the curtains -- available
> > to reach and keep Audience Kind.

> > John do not take most trimming, especially mine, as rude snipping. You
> > erroneously called john, in another thread, a cretin after he had
> > liked your response by posting "Perfect!" regards your words. Your
> > reactions are staged to be confrontational, even where none is
> > required?
> > Perhaps if you cited the "Perfect!" post I might see what point you are
> > making, after years of cynical experience with usenet I probably read it
> > as
> > sarcasm. You've seen through me, I am confrontational. Here is my take
> > on
> > snipping (or trimming as you prefer to call it). When a topic is
> > exhausted
> > and agreement is reached (or agreement to differ, as we must when it
> > turns
> > to mere opinion such as your pink flood) then snip, the topic is closed.
> > Differing opinions by their very nature cannot be resolved to either
> > party's
> > satisfaction. However, it is often the case (and I'm not accusing you of
> > this) that some newsgroup contributor makes a non-factual opinion as
> > though
> > it were fact that is so outrageous I'll snip anything following it
> > without
> > bothering to read the rest and challenge him immediately. For example:
> > "The
> > universe is finite", or "aether permeates all of space", or "God made
> > everything". Or I may killfile him immediately, depending on my mood.
> > But
> > for the most part, I do not snip, I'm open to discussion either to have
> > my
> > own mind changed or to change the mind of the other correspondent. There
> > are
> > occasions when I'll say "Yes, that's a very good point, I hadn't thought
> > of
> > that" and learn something. For example, Henry Wilson pointed out an
> > apparent
> > time contraction and expansion which I had previously overlooked. See if
> > this fascinates you and try to explain it:
> > http://www.britastro.org/vss/gifc/00918-ck.gif

Yes, your "years of cynical experience with usenet" must have
conditioned your behavior.
Only my usenet behaviour. When in Rome do as the Romans do. When
at home do as the homans do.

That's what keeps you always on guard and
confrontational. The thread I was speaking of is "Making a Sphere" but
no matter, since you mean what you say.

The gif you link to above, I have seen it before. Other than it has a
nice female familiarity, I do not know what to make of it. The y-axis
m must be for minutes? Not enough information, as is. What is the
source of time contraction and expansion?
Excellent. Now we're communicating, you only had to ask. I make no
assumptions as to anyone's knowledge as it may appear patronising and
offensive. Now I know to what extent I need to explain.
The source of the gif is the British Astronomical Society and V 1493 Aql is
a star which suddenly brightened in 1999. Time is indicated on the
horizontal axis in months during the year 1999, and m stands for magnitude.
Because magnitude is logarithmic, a magnitude change of 6 is enormous, it
will grab the attention of any stargazer the moment he sees it and he'll
report it around the world.
< http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnitude_(astronomy) >
Other stargazers will studiously watch it until they lose interest. In this
age of streetlights and television stargazing has lost its popularity, but
our ancestors had little else to do during the long winter nights and were
very adept at it. It is said that three wise men (probably from India,
Bangladesh and Afghanistan) visited Bethlehem bearing gifts of gold,
frankincense and myrrh were guided by stellar navigation, although that
story has become somewhat corrupted after being retold to children every
year for 2000 years.
So... the gif is very real data, not some tripe out of a text book.
Such an event is commonly thought to be cataclysmic. The star explodes. The
ancients would suddenly see star when none was noticed before and call it
a "new" star or nova.
Okay, but I'm a scientist. I have to ask, why would it explode TWICE?
That curve is logarithmic, the second peak is also huge.
Is there some other simple explanation? And I'm a stickler for Ockham's
Razor, too. The simplest explanation is probably the right one.
Give it some thought, and in our next exciting episode we'll discuss the
matter further.

[trim]

Why are you in a wheelchair?
============================
Arthritic ankle (broken when I was keeping healthy riding a bicycle in
Florida and got hit by truck driven by an uninsured driver while she was
tending her squealing infant), aortal aneurysm, chronic obstructive
pulmonary disease. No more golf, tennis or bicycles for me. Medical
insurance being what it is in the USA, I take advantage of the NHS and
disability living allowance that I paid for in my youth by living in Merry
Old England.

> > > [trim]

> > Pay up and you can collect your tea, it grows on trees (well, bushes).

I would rather collect in Moonshine and Scotch.
Coconut fenni from Goa? I was given a tour of their stills when I was there
in '83, that stuff is real 'shine. I was there as part of a team installing
Sea Harrier Flight Simulator for the Indian Navy. Shared the same hotel with
a Russian crew doing their thing on the other side of the airport. They
didn't spend any time in the bar the way we did. The guy on the hotel desk
was married to an English girl who enjoyed having us there, she told me
the Russians had turned over their passports to the hotel (legal
requirement for everyone) and every one of them had the same date of
issue, it was their first excursion away from the Motherland. They didn't
mix with the locals either, probably couldn't speak English. No Kingfisher
beer for them and that Fenni shine was too strong for me. Couldn't get
Scotch.

[trim]

I see Musatov went through a lot of trouble just to place an x in my
URL.
Perhaps he wanted to vote for you.

-- This message is brought to you from the keyboard of
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway

Date Subject Author
Sam Wormley
manontheclaphamomnibus
[...]