Topic: spin maximizes the Ampere law that makes the Inert Gases Chapt13.4.03
Charge and spin #1023 New Physics #1143 ATOM TOTALITY 5th ed

Replies: 19   Last Post: Dec 4, 2012 5:51 AM

Re: spin maximizes the Ampere law that makes the Inert Gases Chapt13.4.03

On 22/11/2012 7:49 PM, Timothy Sutter wrote:
> Don Kelly wrote:
>

>> Timothy Sutter wrote:

>>> i just happen to have the motor of
>>> an olde box window fan in the basement.

>>> it's a lot of copper wire and these things called
>>> "bushings" that seem to be copper as well.

>>> it doesn't look too much like this one
>>> but it resembles it a little bit.

>> The box fan motor is likely a single phase shaded pole induction motor.
>> Such a motor will have no commutator as shown in your permanent magnet
>> DC motor (it also will not have permanent magnets and the rotor will be
>> quite different in general).

> i'm pretty sure i said they didn't look too much alike
> but had a little bit of similarity, and, i still say that now.
>
> my new fan has a fairly small motor with a diameter
> of about 5 inches and no exposed copper, but my
> old fan motor was larger and you could see blobs
> of copper wiring -somewhat- like that scooter motor.

Your new fan, considering its size may be a "brushless DC" motor - it
too will have coils.

> just seeing the copper coils is a similarity.

Yes- there is a similarity- the same as the similarity to a solenoid and
a transformer. seeing copper coils in a transformer

>> The "bushings" are "oilite (sic?)" bearings which are
>> typically copper or a copper alloy which is sintered and holds oil.

> my old fan may have had this little felt tipped
> front end where you had to oil every so often.

That figures.

>> They are cheaper than ball bearings but don't generally last as
>> well.. However, these bushings have nothing to do with the
>> electrical/magnetic operation of the motor.

> it's possible that these old bushings were carbon
> and would crud up after a while and you'd have
> to clean up the crud.

Doubtful. However graphite has been used as a lubricant. Sintered bronze
is common.

> maybe i'll dig it out and take it apart unless
> i already disposed of it in an enVIromentally safe manner.
>

>> As for Archie's question- No- the windings are not spherical at all.
>
> no, many coils are sort of round or cylindrical and not spheres.
> i have an olde starter motor that may be a -little- bit more
> like the scooter motor, but i'm, not in the mood to take
> it apart right now, as, it is greasy and secure where
> it is on its little shelf.

Cylindrical is common and practical."sort of round" is meaningless.

>> As usual he is off in his own little world -where facts are not important.
>

> well, yon Pluto does -ask- if the windings are spherical
> Pluto doesn't exactly tell me what sort of motor
> i have and then tell me how it's constructed.

If I am wrong- let me know.
Fan- typically 120V (240V in UK) -assumed not to be a new fan (you said
old(e)) so what is typical? A form of small induction motor-with coils
on the stator. If it is a DC motor, then the construction will be
essentially the same as the scooter motor with coils on the rotor and a
commutator. The presence of a commutator is a give-away.

-----rant snipped------

--
Don Kelly
cross out to reply

Date Subject Author
11/22/12
Read spin maximizes the Ampere law that makes the Inert Gases Chapt13.4.03
Charge and spin #1023 New Physics #1143 ATOM TOTALITY 5th ed
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
11/22/12
Read rotor Re: spin maximizes the Ampere law Chapt13.4.03 Charge and spin
#1024 New Physics #1144 ATOM TOTALITY 5th ed
plutonium.archimedes@gmail.com
11/22/12
Read Re: spin maximizes the Ampere law that makes the Inert Gases Chapt13.4.03
Charge and spin #1023 New Physics #1143 ATOM TOTALITY 5th ed
Timothy Sutter
11/22/12
Read Re: spin maximizes the Ampere law that makes the Inert Gases Chapt13.4.03
Charge and spin #1023 New Physics #1143 ATOM TOTALITY 5th ed
Read Re: spin maximizes the Ampere law that makes the Inert Gases Chapt13.4.03
Charge and spin #1023 New Physics #1143 ATOM TOTALITY 5th ed
Timothy Sutter
11/24/12
Read Re: spin maximizes the Ampere law that makes the Inert Gases Chapt13.4.03
Charge and spin #1023 New Physics #1143 ATOM TOTALITY 5th ed
Read Re: spin maximizes the Ampere law that makes the Inert Gases Chapt13.4.03 Charge and spin #1023 New Physics #1143 ATOM TOTALITY 5th ed
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway
[...]
11/25/12
Read Re: spin maximizes the Ampere law that makes the Inert Gases Chapt13.4.03
Charge and spin #1023 New Physics #1143 ATOM TOTALITY 5th ed
Read Re: spin maximizes the Ampere law that makes the Inert Gases Chapt13.4.03 Charge and spin #1023 New Physics #1143 ATOM TOTALITY 5th ed
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway
11/26/12
Read Re: spin maximizes the Ampere law that makes the Inert Gases
Timothy Sutter
11/27/12
Read Re: spin maximizes the Ampere law that makes the Inert Gases
Read Re: spin maximizes the Ampere law that makes the Inert Gases
Timothy Sutter
11/28/12
Read Re: spin maximizes the Ampere law that makes the Inert Gases
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway
12/4/12
Read Re: spinx GAmaw t akes thent as Inert es
Timothy Sutter