Topic: Integer Length Count
Replies: 4   Last Post: Nov 24, 2012 2:43 AM

Bob Hanlon

Re: Integer Length Count

Conversion of integers to strings is not necessary and slows down the process.

n = 1000000;

data = RandomInteger[10000000, n];

t1 = Timing[lengthFrequency = Tally[Length /@ IntegerDigits[data]]][[1]]

2.12561

t2 = Timing[lengthFrequency2 = Tally[StringLength[ToString /@ data]]][[1]]

3.63404

Both processes provide the same results.

lengthFrequency == lengthFrequency2

True

Conversion to strings is much slower.

t2/t1