Replies: 108   Last Post: Dec 7, 2012 9:25 AM

Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway

Re: Stephen Fry does something no human has ever done before

"Mahipal" wrote in message

On Nov 23, 10:31 pm, "Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway"
<LordAndroc...@November2012.org> wrote:
> "Mahipal" wrote in message

> On Nov 23, 6:07 pm, Musatov <marty.musa...@gmail.com> wrote:> On Nov 23,
> 11:19 am, "Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of

> > Medway"<LordAndroc...@November2012.org> wrote:
> > > "Mahipal" wrote in message
>
> [trim]
>
> What's your age John? Perhaps the music one is exposed to is
> influenced by age.
> 40 +/- 70 which anyone can guess at.
> It's none of your business to ask personal questions on a public forum.
> Any
> information I disclose about myself I give voluntarily and not under
> interrogation. "Lord Androcles" is of course a pseudonym. "John" was an
> error in a private email to a trusted correspondent who was not
> trustworthy,
> but eggs cannot be unscrambled. Beware identity theft.

John, look... You and I go into a bar.... I know it sounds like the
beginnings of good joke... but there we are greeting... hello hello
yaddi yadda shaking hands... you're savouring your scotch... and I
mine. Then I pause, look at you, and ask how old are you? What you
going to do? Jump and thrash at me over and over again as if I asked
you if you were old enough to drink?! For one, I can see an
approximate age of you on your face. In a bar We, first of all.
We are not in a bar, and mine's a glass of wine these days if we were.
Dirk Van de moortel is a slimy little scumbag in Belgium who once
boasted to putting a Key-logger on my computer when I had insufficient
protection and the nasty little faggot is lurking on this conversation even
now. My elder daughter died of cancer in 2006, I let it be known on
usenet and was accused of trying to capitalise on it to gain attention for
my views on physics, and by more than one scumbag.
If you want to spread your personal details all over the web that's your
business, but I'm not going to. Use your intelligence and make do with
my approximate age.

> > > Very funny play on words. I get it, I think. I still cannot type the
> > > end word in that sequence.
> > > ====================================
> > > gottasnip = got to snip, an often impulsive need to remove words
> > > unnecessarily (impossible on paper without censorship) and a new
> > > practice made possible only by the computer.
> > > In days of old when letters were bold and postage was invented,
> > > Man sent mail on the back of a snail and had to be contented.

> No not the word gottasnip. The word after Opera. Must not type it.
> WinFREE?

Yes. Must fight with all force not to type that five letter string.

> [...]
> > > Used to Gettting Punnished daily in every Media manifestation. As if
> > > that's the only form of joking modern journalists and comedians --
> > > perhaps the two are one and the same behind the curtains -- available
> > > to reach and keep Audience Kind.

> > > John do not take most trimming, especially mine, as rude snipping. You
> > > erroneously called john, in another thread, a cretin after he had
> > > liked your response by posting "Perfect!" regards your words. Your
> > > reactions are staged to be confrontational, even where none is
> > > required?
> > > =========================================================
> > > Perhaps if you cited the "Perfect!" post I might see what point you
> > > are
> > > making, after years of cynical experience with usenet I probably read
> > > it
> > > as
> > > sarcasm. You've seen through me, I am confrontational. Here is my
> > > take
> > > on
> > > snipping (or trimming as you prefer to call it). When a topic is
> > > exhausted
> > > and agreement is reached (or agreement to differ, as we must when it
> > > turns
> > > to mere opinion such as your pink flood) then snip, the topic is
> > > closed.
> > > Differing opinions by their very nature cannot be resolved to either
> > > party's
> > > satisfaction. However, it is often the case (and I'm not accusing you
> > > of
> > > this) that some newsgroup contributor makes a non-factual opinion as
> > > though
> > > it were fact that is so outrageous I'll snip anything following it
> > > without
> > > bothering to read the rest and challenge him immediately. For example:
> > > "The
> > > universe is finite", or "aether permeates all of space", or "God made
> > > everything". Or I may killfile him immediately, depending on my mood.
> > > But
> > > for the most part, I do not snip, I'm open to discussion either to
> > > have
> > > my
> > > own mind changed or to change the mind of the other correspondent.
> > > There
> > > are
> > > occasions when I'll say "Yes, that's a very good point, I hadn't
> > > thought
> > > of
> > > that" and learn something. For example, Henry Wilson pointed out an
> > > apparent
> > > time contraction and expansion which I had previously overlooked. See
> > > if
> > > this fascinates you and try to explain it:
> > >http://www.britastro.org/vss/gifc/00918-ck.gif

> Yes, your "years of cynical experience with usenet" must have
> conditioned your behavior.
> Only my usenet behaviour. When in Rome do as the Romans do. When

That's fair and understandable. At least, at first, err on the side of
politeness until someone earns your scorn. Why use the same size fits
all hammer on all Romans -- human or otherwise?
Usenet is largely a never-ending chess game with each participant
trying to gain advantage over an opponent for prestige, "My theory is
better than your theory". I don't have a theory, all theories are the
ideas of others. What I have is a discovery that nobody listens to.
You are asking me to change the way I play, but it's only a game and
my fun.

> That's what keeps you always on guard and
> confrontational. The thread I was speaking of is "Making a Sphere" but
> no matter, since you mean what you say.
>
> The gif you link to above, I have seen it before. Other than it has a
> nice female familiarity, I do not know what to make of it. The y-axis
> m must be for minutes? Not enough information, as is. What is the
> source of time contraction and expansion?
> Excellent. Now we're communicating, you only had to ask. I make no
> assumptions as to anyone's knowledge as it may appear patronising and
> offensive. Now I know to what extent I need to explain.
> The source of the gif is the British Astronomical Society and V 1493 Aql
> is
> a star which suddenly brightened in 1999. Time is indicated on the
> horizontal axis in months during the year 1999, and m stands for
> magnitude.
> Because magnitude is logarithmic, a magnitude change of 6 is enormous, it
> will grab the attention of any stargazer the moment he sees it and he'll
> report it around the world.
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnitude_(astronomy) >

Given your additional details, I read this article
http://iopscience.iop.org/1538-3881/128/1/405/fulltext/204071.text.html
and it has a duplicate, more detailed, graph of the same brightness
over time data.
Quite so, more data can always be found.
Here is a simple distance-time graph generated by computer with the
following assumptions:
1) The emitter (star) has an output intensity that is constant.
2) the emitter moves in an elliptical orbit about a barycentre it shares
with another body.
3) The light leaves the star with velocity c, but arrives here with velocity
c+v where v is the velocity of the star in out direction.
4) Given a great enough distance, slower light emitted earlier is passed by
faster light emitted later.
(A car travelling at 50 mph is caught up after 300 miles by a car travelling
at 60 mph that left home 1 hour later, 6 hours * 50 mph = 5 hours * 60 mph)
< http://androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Doolin'sStar.GIF >
Two beams are brighter than one if they arrive together.
It was Henry Wilson who first noted that delta T differed from delta t to
yield an apparent time dilation and compression.
So... no cataclysm. No Einstein relativity nonsense either.

> Other stargazers will studiously watch it until they lose interest. In
> this
> age of streetlights and television stargazing has lost its popularity, but
> our ancestors had little else to do during the long winter nights and were
> very adept at it. It is said that three wise men (probably from India,
> Bangladesh and Afghanistan) visited Bethlehem bearing gifts of gold,
> frankincense and myrrh were guided by stellar navigation, although that
> story has become somewhat corrupted after being retold to children every
> year for 2000 years.

Am familiar with this fable.
The world was flooded when the Northern Ice Cap melted, so Noah built a
farm on a boat to save the animals. Such is the nature of fables.
Are you familiar with this 2100 year old technology?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism
The extremely poor mathematics of the Holy Roman Empire, still extant
throughout the world and especially so in the USA, has lost us much from
the Greeks, the Persians, the Indians, the Arabs.

> So... the gif is very real data, not some tripe out of a text book.
> Such an event is commonly thought to be cataclysmic. The star explodes.
> The
> ancients would suddenly see star when none was noticed before and call it
> a "new" star or nova.
> Okay, but I'm a scientist. I have to ask, why would it explode TWICE?

Have not found (i.e., read) a good explanation yet. No conclusive
cause provided in the iop link concerning the TWICE peak.
The leading and trailing edge of the region of reversal are the peaks.
< http://androcles01.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Doolin'sStar.GIF >

"light is always propagated in empty space with a definite velocity c which
is independent of the state of motion of the emitting body" -- Einstein.
Oh no it isn't.
Too bad, Einstein, but your second postulate is nonsense, you fruitcake.
And yes, the spectrum will be strange with mixed red and blue Doppler shift.

> That curve is logarithmic, the second peak is also huge.
> Is there some other simple explanation? And I'm a stickler for Ockham's
> Razor, too. The simplest explanation is probably the right one.
> Give it some thought, and in our next exciting episode we'll discuss the
> matter further.

"It is probable that the secondary outburst apparent in the light
curve was due to an additional but slow increase in the material being
expelled from the surface of the white dwarf." -- iop link.
Standard explanation. It's as probable as Ptolemy's epicycles cause
retrograde motion.
<http://www.lasalle.edu/~smithsc/Astronomy/retrograd.html>

I would search for Henry Wilson but Google Search on and of Usenet is
really Really REALLY atrocious. Arrgh. Oy the frustration of bad SW
apps.
Look in (subscribe to) sci.physics.relativity, He's usually beating up
relativists for fun.
He's my student but he's very arrogant, wants all the credit. We treat each
other
roughly but there is no real animosity.

My favourite, btw, astronomy book is authored by a professor, likely
retired now, from The Department of Physics and Astronomy at the
University of Leicester . I cannot locate my copy of the book
presently. I do remember highlighting 80%+ of the writing. After which
my friends and I used to joke it would've been less work to highlight
the non-interesting parts. Now I can't recall the author's name. It
will come to me.

> [trim]
>
> Why are you in a wheelchair?
> ============================
> Arthritic ankle (broken when I was keeping healthy riding a bicycle in
> Florida and got hit by truck driven by an uninsured driver while she was
> tending her squealing infant), aortal aneurysm, chronic obstructive
> pulmonary disease. No more golf, tennis or bicycles for me. Medical
> insurance being what it is in the USA, I take advantage of the NHS and
> disability living allowance that I paid for in my youth by living in Merry
> Old England.

That's very bad luck. I feel for you. Good you have Merry Old England.
Consider this, in that past 3 USA weeks, two pedestrians have been
killed by hit and run incidents near my city. One, 3 weeks ago or so,
a 14 year old girl student, the second, yesterday, a 52 year old lady.
In both cases the drivers were not charged and not even detained by
Law Enforcement. Me, I drank at the bar, drove safely home, did not
jerk off (Pulp Fiction) ... still had my license suspended and am
still dealing with the law's judges. Makes me think I should've run
someone over instead. Oy.
Heck, my Jazzy is faster than walking, all I want is for all pubs not to
have steps as it limits my choice.
http://www.pridemobility.com/jazzy/jazzyselect6.asp
Trouble is some of them are 900 years old.
http://www.caldecottegroup.com/propertydetail.aspx?id=cRhqQTirslI%3D

> > > Pay up and you can collect your tea, it grows on trees (well, bushes).
>
> I would rather collect in Moonshine and Scotch.
> Coconut fenni from Goa? I was given a tour of their stills when I was
> there
> in '83, that stuff is real 'shine. I was there as part of a team
> installing
> Sea Harrier Flight Simulator for the Indian Navy. Shared the same hotel
> with
> a Russian crew doing their thing on the other side of the airport. They
> didn't spend any time in the bar the way we did. The guy on the hotel desk
> was married to an English girl who enjoyed having us there, she told me
> the Russians had turned over their passports to the hotel (legal
> requirement for everyone) and every one of them had the same date of
> issue, it was their first excursion away from the Motherland. They didn't
> mix with the locals either, probably couldn't speak English. No
> Kingfisher
> beer for them and that Fenni shine was too strong for me. Couldn't get
> Scotch.

It should be illegal for anyone else to take your passport. I've seen
it being done to people in Dubai as well... it's a way of holding one
captive. Prisoners of State We, no Free at all. Yes, Kingfisher is a
good beer. Cheers!
Nobody took a passport. If you want a hotel room you are obliged to
hand it over, but anyone can sleep under the stars. If you want to drive
in Maryland you need a license, but nobody is forcing you to drive there.
You have the freedom of the highway and byways to walk or ride a horse.
Driving a car is a privilege that you have to morally and ethically prove
you are worthy of, it's a lethal weapon.
Freedom and rights have very different meanings.
Yankees often mistake them, they think they have the right to privacy
but they have a Bill of Rights and it's not in there so they don't. Hence
technology that lets security guards see through clothes at airports in
infra-red or x-ray, but nobody is forced to board a plane.

> [trim]
>
> I see Musatov went through a lot of trouble just to place an x in my
> URL.
> Perhaps he wanted to vote for you.

Perhaps. But I am running from office, not for. Funny that.
Then he must have wanted to vote against you.

-- This message is brought to you from the keyboard of
Lord Androcles, Zeroth Earl of Medway

Date Subject Author
Sam Wormley
manontheclaphamomnibus
[...]